Author Topic: Goaty tasting milk  (Read 10428 times)

luvmygoatsinfrance

Goaty tasting milk
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
Good afternoon, I read in one of the goat forums about someone asking about 'goaty tasting milk' well I have to say I have myself had this only once in two years, and instantly gave the milk to the dogs, as they love it, i dont milk all my goats and conjoin the milk together instantly, i milk each one, then filter and see if it has been contaminated, if not i then conjoin with the other tested milk and then filter and instantly put in the freezer for one hour. What do you do to make sure you dont get goaty milk?

MiaBella Farm

Re: Goaty tasting milk
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
You should check your goat for mastitis or other staph infection.

Also, how quickly are you cooling the milk, it should be chilled rather quickly to avoid the "goaty taste".

Boulderbrewer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
Effecient cooling and clean milk without to much hair in it are two big ones. We cool ours in a bucket of ice water in the fridge. This works well with a half gallon or less. Stir while doing this would chill it faster.

One more thing if your bucks are too close to your does you can wind up with "bucky" milk. Ours are separated by about a 50' pasture.

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:04:31 PM »
Clean udder of dust and hair, milk into a bucket that is partly covered to prevent dust and debris falling in.

Filter and chill immediately.

Don't store in larger than 1/2 gallon jars unless you have means to quick chill.

clherestian

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
Also, don't agitate the milk at any point.

Dukesterct

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
Clean udder of dust and hair, milk into a bucket that is partly covered to prevent dust and debris falling in.

Filter and chill immediately.

Don't store in larger than 1/2 gallon jars unless you have means to quick chill.

what if you want to make cheese right after milking, do you have to chill and warm back up?

Thanks

littlemilkqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
I have noticed with my girls that they also tend to smell a bit goatier when they go into heat. My 13 yr old daughter does not like the milk when they are in heat because of this. I keep my buck away from them, on the other side of house/property.

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
No, if you are making cheese that morning, just use it from the warm state, but don't wait four hours or something.  Do it right away.

Dukesterct

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
No, if you are making cheese that morning, just use it from the warm state, but don't wait four hours or something.  Do it right away.

Got it, thanks!

Tar

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
Goaty tasting milk !
What's wrong with it?
If you raise goats and you do not like "Goaty tasting milk" switch to cows !
Goaty tasting milk is a key for making goat cheese !

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:49 AM »
Um.  Wrong.  If the milk tastes goaty, there IS a problem.

Alice, the Goat Lady

Tar

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 05:45:25 AM »
OK.
let's put things this way:
 despite hygiene , proper feeding and proper handling goat milk should smell goatly.
It is wrong to expect that smells like a cow's.
Or better said cow(ly) smell milk is normal for cows. Not for goats, not for sheep, yaks, etc.
the same applies to meet.
if the goat is not healthy the milk can smell bedly, but I would not call it the goatly smell!

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
Maybe we need to clarify what is meant by goaty.  Meyenberg is goaty because it has been damaged in over handling.  My bucks smell goaty because they pee on themselves to make that lovely goat cologne.

My does' goat milk is not goaty.   ;D  It just smells like milk.  When I use it on cereal, you can't tell it's goat milk.

Tar

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 04:28:23 AM »
...........the same applies to meet..............
sorry, I meant  meat

Maybe we need to clarify what is meant by goaty.
it seems that's the problem.

Tar

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 05:44:39 AM »
....My does' goat milk is not goaty.   ;D  It just smells like milk.  When I use it on cereal, you can't tell it's goat milk.
But how can you make cheese with goat odour if there is no goat(y) smell in milk ?