Author Topic: Goaty tasting milk  (Read 10420 times)

Alice in TX/MO

Re: Goaty tasting milk
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
I don't make cheese with goat odor.  I just make cheese with my goat milk. 

There are certain breeds of goat that have strong flavored milk.  I don't have those.

If you let the milk get old or treat it roughly, it might taste goaty.  Mine doesn't.

If you didn't wash up after feeding the bucks, it might taste goaty. :P

Tar

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
Excuse me if I'm persistent.
first to clarify that horny buck smell is not goatl(y) smell. >:D
Next let me explain goat(y) smell as I see It.
“Goat's milk fat contains appreciable amounts of caproic, caprylic, and capric fatty acids. Although these fatty acids are not unique to the goat, they are more abundant in goat's milk than milk from other species. They are responsible for the characteristic flavor and odor of cheeses made from goat's milk.”
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ds134
In France, Spain or Greece, countries with great goat cheeses and more than one million goats each, goat(y) smell in goat cheese is  absolutely essential. It is so obvious that is rarely mentioned (It would be pleonasm).Still  here and there you can see description like this: “......its paste of cream-ivory colour has a typical savour of goat and a melting texture in mouth.”
http://www.aftouch-cuisine.com/en/rocamadour-85.htm
or : “Odour of the Rocamadour cheese: light caprine odour.”
http://androuet.com/Le%20Fromage%20fermier-68_guide-fromage.html?PHPSESSID=34bd17e86c3a941286d0a01d64608377
It is impossible to achive “a typical savour of goat” or “light caprine odour” in cheese if there is no the the same goat smell  in the milk. But it is easy to understand that it is harder to detect since it is diluted 10:1 , the usual  milk : cheese ratio.
 The same applies to ewe’s cheese. It must have  ewe(ly) or sheep(y) smell.Generally speaking  goat’s and sheep’s cheeses  are more expensive then cow’s. The smell(savour, odour) is what you pay for.
Not for “melting texture” or “slight nutty taste”........wich are excellent but can be achieved in cow’s cheese too.
On the other hand it seems that in USA goat(y) smell is consideras a fault. So the internet advertisements do not mention goat odor or goat(y) smell.  Instead it is ”more piquant” ;)...and so on.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
I read somewhere that some people are extremely sensitive to the "bouquet" of goat milk/cheese, and perceive it as unpleasant. I know several people who don't like even mild goat cheeses.
When I tasted a friend's goat cheddar recently, I remarked that I could definitely taste the goat essence (in a good way) compared to my cow cheddar. She said that she didn't notice any goaty nature in her cheese.
That said, I have tasted/smelled "bad" goaty milk/cheese which was maybe mis-handled, but it seems like some differences are due to differences in perception.

Minamyna

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
Also goaty tasting cheese comes from aging cheese and I think to some effect getting the whey out. I know our goats milk, Only I can tell the difference by taste between my Jersey and the Nubians milk. BUT the chevre definitely has an extra pop. I always attributed it to the different lipases in goats milk and the idea that it becomes more "concentrated" when I make cheese.

Tar

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »
I read somewhere that some people are extremely sensitive to the "bouquet" of goat milk/cheese, and perceive it as unpleasant. I know several people who don't like even mild goat cheeses.
That’s  true. Some if not most delicacy are controversial. Caviar, truffles, oysters........... Quite a few dislike it. Others pay a lot for it. The same applies to goat cheese. As for my wallet, unfortunately  I like it all. Cohibas included.
Also goaty tasting cheese comes from aging cheese
Generally it is true, but I'd rather say that it becomes stronger.
............... my Jersey and the Nubians............
Jersey is Nubian amog cows!
Nubians I can only dream of. There are some nubians in Holland, and few here and there. There are quite  enough in England of course, but real good herds(flocks) are in USA. And of course there is ADGA site where you can trace each animal’s production and milk quality.
Maybe one day ..

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
Your goat cheese will have a tang to it but that is not the same as goaty tasting milk.
I have had many people tell me they do not like goat milk till they taste my goat milk. If you did not know it was from a goat you would not be able to tell.
The same with the cheese. People do not like the strong goaty taste of Cherve till they taste mine.

Steff

Tar

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
OK,
English is not my native language so misunderstanding is very likely...
But,
..... If you did not know it was from a goat you would not be able to tell.
The same with the cheese. People do not like the strong goaty taste of Cherve till they taste mine....
Well, cultural differences are obvious. For me when you try cheese it is necessary to identify wich animal milk  is it made.
Some people do not like turkey meat. Then prepare turkey to kill it's turkey taste and smell. And then someone says : "excellent, this turkey tastes like chicken!"  :o

aussierescue

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:57 AM »
ya thats right dogs love milk , but sometimes goat milk good for bones:-)

visit us at =  [ur = "http://aussiewhitegoodsrescue.com"l]kleenmaid brisbane [/url]