Author Topic: The Cheese Whey -- Curd Cutter and Presses, Oh My.  (Read 11127 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
The Cheese Whey -- Curd Cutter and Presses, Oh My.
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
A few people on here have inquired about my cheese making equipment and I thought I'd post a few pics and some info about what I do. I originally had a website thecheesewhey.com and that is no longer up. Bascially I have a machine shop and make cheese and got the domain name for cheap, but as it's not my main business I decided not to renew the subscription. I still make and sell custom cheese making equipment. Many of the people on this board know me and have bought equipment from me. My products are not necessarily cheap but I also don't make cheap stuff and it will last a lifetime.

Take my cheese press for example the small version which can press up to an 8" mold is $500, it is powered by a pneumatic cylinder and is the most accurate cheese press around. If you compare this to the cheap piceces of junk they are selling on websites that use a spring then there is no comparison. The 4" hoop and spring press that almost everyone sells usually sells for around $150 some are $250 and up. They literaly use about $10 worth of materials and would take me 10 minutes to build from scratch!!!!! My press uses 1 1/2" Steel tubing and is welded and uses a pneumatic cylinder to dial in the EXACT pressure for the cheese you are making, no guessing what so ever and they cost a lot in just materials to build. A spring is not that accurate, plus it wears out and doesn't consistently give constant pressure. My presses press the exact same pressure every time and constantly through the pressing cycle. Don't get me wrong if you have a spring press and it works for you then there's nothing wrong with that; the point I'm making is the price these companies are charging you for something that cost $10 to make is an insult as opposed to the items I offer which are solid, accurate and are not cheap to manufactuer.

Anyway if you are interested in any equipment, of what you see or don't see just ask, let me know.

The 8" Press is $500 not including shipping.
I also make PVC molds 4, 6, 8 and 10" I can also go bigger if interested.
I make custom followers for molds so your name or logo can be pressed into the cheese, these look real neat and add a professional touch, as far as I know I'm the only one ever to offer these for sale, I've also never seen a cheese done with this process, besides my own of course.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:07:21 AM by Cartierusm »

padams

Re: The Cheese Whey -- Curd Cutter and Presses, Oh My.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:13:59 AM »
That is really clever, Carter!  Very nice work!

Brie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:58:45 AM »
What is the pricing on the curd cutters Carter? They look great!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
Depends on the size, the ones shown and the minium I charge is $200 a piece. Mind you these are professionally made, are stainless steel and are quite difficult to make. The ones shown are about 8" wide and 24" long.

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Those followers are inspired.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
Thanks.

Please inquire about the curd knives as prices have changed. Making some right now and forgot how difficult they are to make.

Tropit

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »
I've been looking for a good cheese press and I love your design!  I have a funky spring press and I never really know just how much pressure is being applied.  I hate it!  This looks a lot more effecient.  I aso love the custom followers that you've made.  Now...to save up my pennies and give out lots of Bday and Christmas hints...

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
These are fantastic! Are you using a CNC or 3D printer for the mold followers? Are you open to custom orders?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
Yes that was the whole point of this thread. I sell these. If you are interested send me a drawing and I'll give you a quote. You can't use a 3D printer for two reasons, one it would not be strong enought to stand up to the pressures of a cheese press and two the material you can use in a 3D printer is not food grade.

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
Can you PM me with the specs you need to a drawing and your pricing and available molds? I would like to make 5.5" "petit tomme"  and have hard time finding molds with followers at that size (except Kadovas). I would like to brand the cheese with indentation so this could be very cool

Zoey

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »

I just love the custom followers.

But I have to ask - don't they produce ridges that are prone to take on mold while aging?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
Not really, the ridge is no more susceptible to mold than the rest of the cheese. Why would a ridge attract mold more so than the rest of the cheese which has a larger surface area. If part of the cheese was not getting air circulation then  that area would more likely grow mold. Also what cheese are you referring to. The one pictured is a Parm and that is air dried while it's already dry and then after months and months is rubbed with olive oil. If it were a cheddar then after drying out it would be waxed. There are few cheese that don't contain mold already that are aged in the open air not covered by anything. If there is mold in your environment then mold will get on a cheese. Plus the impressions can be made with rounded edges and rounded bottoms for less drying out.