Author Topic: Cheese Making - Initial Materials & Equipment Order  (Read 6672 times)

Firkin

Cheese Making - Initial Materials & Equipment Order
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry im not sure which was the best place to post this topic as it covers a few boards so here it goes.

I am completely new to artisan cheese making, I live in South Africa(are there any others on here?) and below is some of the equipment/supplies I will be purchasing. My aim is to start on soft cheeses but soonish move onto harder. The only resource ive had is the net and this forum.

1. I have a dedicated cave(fridge freezer) with which to age the cheese.

2. Press - I have convinced a friend to build a dutch press for me based on this design(http://media.photobucket.com/image/dutch%20cheese%20press/psc2210/cheesepress.jpg) however it will be made of galvanised square tubes and flat bar. it will be man enough for some serious pressure but will it be to heavy for most cheese kinds i.e. the arm will weigh about 1 kgs ?

3. Ingredients - I will be purchasing my ingredients/equipment from this website(http://www.finestkind.co.za/) - Do i need hoops, or are moulds enough? i will order 3 kinds of DVS cultures, rennet(microbial & animal), calcium chloride, wax, baby gouda mould, 2 cheese moulds, cheese cloth and a thermometer. I have large stainless steel pots at home.

Am I good to get started with the above, as due to delivery its more cost effective to adds additional bits now?

I have a lots of questions but I am just trying to make sure I spend my money getting the right equipment etc to start out with.

Any comments would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

MarkShelton

Re: Cheese Making - Initial Materials & Equipment Order
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
Hi Firkin! Welcome to the forum. This is an excellent place for information, advice and support for both new and experienced cheesemakers. I don't know if I've seen other members from South Africa, but you can check in the "regional posts" section.
1. It's good that you have a dedicated fridge already. Do you have a means of controlling temperature? Most refrigerators operate at a temperature pretty well below the optimum for ripening cheese. You can get around this by purchasing an external thermostat. Humidity can be controlled with pans of water or a small humidifier, depending on the size of the fridge.
2. I wish I had a friend I could convince to make me a press like that! It should be fine for most hard cheeses.
3. The terms 'hoop' and 'mold' are sometimes used interchangeably. I refer to a hoop when it is just that, no top or bottom, and a mold when it has a formed bottom and lid (follower). Both/either are fine (though you will need to make or buy a follower with a hoop if you are pressing), I would just make sure to get a few different sizes for different styles of cheese.
You shouldn't need 2 different types of rennet, and you should actually just use one exclusively, so that you can get used to how it works and what kind of dosage you should be using. Only switch rennet types if you are having a problem with one. Otherwise, I think you are set with everything else.
Good luck!
What are you starting out with?

Alex

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
Mark answered all the questions, so I'd like to mention just that the press doesn't have to be made from iron/steel. According to the size of hoops/molds that fit into the press, wood fill be fine. Attached are two of my self-built presses, one is per your drawing, the other is a more robust construction. I've added to the smaller one base supports like the bigger one has, to prevent rolling over due to the weights.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
Hi Firkin, I believe you ar the first one from SA, welcome!

I've just added that store to our global list.

Sounds like your questions are answered, you only need a press and heavy duty molds/hoops for hard aged cheeses. Don't forget Annatto.

As Mark asks, what type of cheeses and also what type of starter cultures?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:59:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum Firkin.
Many different types of baskets and containers that will allow for drainage can be used for making soft cheeses. Hard cheeses require a good deal of pressure so they will need stronger hoops as well. Gook luck and enjoy the forum.

Carolina

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
Hello.
I was about to buy Wheeler cheesepress. Unfortunately, they are out of stock and apparently generally hard to get.
Now I'm left with dilemma: dutch type cheese press or stainless steal press recommended for cheese but also for fruits etc (many of those available through ebay).
Personally, I would go for a dutch type. Is the latter type any good at all?

Anysbos

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
Howzit!!

I'm in the Western Cape and my husband and I are busy building / setting up our boutique goat's milk cheesery. Will be supplying the local touristy spots with feta for starters.

If you want to hook up by phone, reply to this post and I'll call you.

Cheers!