Author Topic: Second Colby, trying Non Homogenized milk  (Read 2606 times)

Andrewqld

Second Colby, trying Non Homogenized milk
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:54:17 AM »
Managed to track down some Non Homogenized milk and decided to have another go at a Colby.
My first attempt I used store bought milk and rennet tablets, this time I used Non Homo milk and liquid rennet. I used the recipe from the recipe section here in both instances and this time took plenty of PH readings as well.
I was surprised how firm the curds were this time round and I'm not sure if it's the Rennet or the milk that has made the difference
Here are the PH readings throughout.

Start milk 6.8
After Ripening 6.6
Curd cut 6.4
temp raise 6.3
1/2 whey removed 6.1
Drain 5.9
Salted and milled 5.8
First press 5.6

I'll be honest and say I have no idea how close I was to the ideal as far as PH levels are concerned but I am hoping it's close.
As far as the pressing goes I am also trying something new, my air cylinder press that I am in the process of refining.
Still trying to get my head around the pressure idea and here is what I have done.
I am using a 5.5" follower
15 minutes at 1 psi, should give me 20lb
15 minutes 1.5 psi, should give me 30lb
12 hours 3 psi should give me just over 50lb.

If anyone can see something amiss here I would really appreciate a heads up, especially with the ph and psi issues as I am really struggling with this.
Here are some photos of the day so far.
I think I added to much Annatto  :-[

Cheers
Andrew

MrsKK

Re: Second Colby, trying Non Homogenized milk
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
Hey, Andrew, I can't give any feedback regarding ph or psi, but your curds look good to me.  That's about how much I color my colby.

I've always used raw milk for cheesemaking and the curd is really nice and firm.  DJDebi has remarked on the differences in raw and homogenized/pasturized so maybe she'll chime in with some comments in that regard.

That press looks really professional - great job!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »
Nice looking press. I like the small cylinder I could find a place to store something that small. Where did you find it?

The cheese curds look good to me hon.  Curds look nice and firm and still look springy. Did you eat some? I go by chew and taste more than pH. Raw milk always come out firmer than store bought pasteurized, homomogenized milk. Better flavor too IMHO.

I wonder though - you didn't mention a washing step was that after the draining 1/2 whey step? Your pH levels are rather high so I am wondering about this. The pH after the washing should be about 5.0 to 5.2 - then milling etc. to draw out some of the lactose to allow for lactic acid development and keep the cheese soft. I might consider dropping the wheel into a bowl of plain water for a few hours after pressing just to drop the pH some or it may develop a fermented fruity over acid flavor.

If I am reading this right 5.5 inch mold
1 PSI = 23.76 lbs
1.5 psi = 35.64 lbs
3 psi = 71.27 lbs

Pressures are kind of high. This will make the cheese more firm and dry but not overly so.

I have a chart for you for calculating weight from PSI or PSI for using weights for different size molds. There are two charts one for molds in 1/2 inch increments and one for molds in 1/4 inch increments. Just to make it easier.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:09:07 PM by DeejayDebi »

Andrewqld

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:24:31 AM »
Thanks MrsKK, the press was just cobbled together with what I had on hand, a more permanent arrangement is in the pipeline.
I'm very happy with the look of the cheese out of the press and the curds seem to have knit very well, it's drying as we speak.
I've attached a .doc of the recipe and ph marks I recorded if anyone is interested.

Andrew

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:20 AM »
Nice record!

Andrewqld

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »
Thanks Deejaydebi, that's exactly the information I was after, yes the curds were washed after the 1/2 drain but the ph didn't get as low as 5.2 sadly.
I bought the cylinder off Ebay, it was a bit of a one off fluke, but there were plenty on there in varying sizes.
Thanks for the chart, it will be very useful.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrewqld

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:44:59 AM »
Actually, I've just had a good look at that chart and it is awesome ;) thanks again, that is a great help.

Cheers
Andrew

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
Your welcome. Did you try setting the wheel into a bowl of pain water? That should help some.

Andrewqld

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »
No I didn't, but it is pretty much 2 days into air drying now so i thought it was too late, however I have learnt and will be doing another this week and will apply the changes.
Thanks again for the help.
I'll post a pic of the cheese just before vac bagging.

Andrew

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:47:05 AM »
I will be interested to see how this pans out. I think the curds look nice but tates is an issue. You can develop your taste buds to know when the curds are ready - strange as it sounds. They really do change flavor and mouth feel when ready. Maybe your calibration was just off slightly?

Andrewqld

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:39:38 AM »
I have just opened this cheese for a taste test, it would seem that I have overcome the bitterness problems I was having with some of my other cheeses but this one seems to have turned out quite dry and crumbly, the taste is ok although it has a very slight acidity but the texture is crumbly with a few mechanical holes and is not smooth and plasticy as I was expecting.
As I intend to keep making this cheese until I can get a good result does anyone have any ideas on where I went wrong? Is it as you suggested DeejayDebi and I pressed to hard? Am i having problems with acidity?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »
dry and crumbl is usually either over ripenig the milk before adding rennet, to much acity before draining, the acid taste can be lack of firming of the curds before acid development or to much starter. Over pressing shouldn't cause these symtoms.

I just reviewed the whole thread and you may simply have a young cheese that hasn't developed enough yet. Looks like it is barely 1 month old. Give it more time and I think you will be pleased by the result.

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
I agree with Debi on the youth of your cheese.  I've been amazed at the differences over a couple of months of ageing.  Although I have to admit that it sounds backwards that cheese can become less dry with age, it does seem to work!

Andrewqld

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I shall be leaving this cheese for at least another month and I will report back what I observe.