Author Topic: Ripened Buttermilk Mesophilic Starter Culture - Amount  (Read 4315 times)

mcfly

Ripened Buttermilk Mesophilic Starter Culture - Amount
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
Hey all,
Ive decided to start using frozen cubes of buttermilk (left for 8 hours first) as a starter culture. Would anybody know how many cubes I'd need for 2 gallon of cheddar? The standard cubes are about 2 inch X 1 inch X 1 inch

Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: Ripened Buttermilk Mesophilic Starter Culture - Amount
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »
You need a volume of 5-7 fluid ounces, so about 3/4 cup for a 2% inoculation.

mcfly

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
ah great.. Many thanks!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
My rule of thumb is 4 standard large ice cubes per each 1 US gallon, but it all depends how ripe and thus how viscous the buttermilk was when frozen. I've found that I have to leave my store bought buttemilk out longer than 8 hours at room temperature to get it viscous.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:11:24 AM »
If you make a mesophilic starter culture from your buttermilk first you will only need 1 large cube per gallon. I made my cheese this way for about 30 years before buying comercial cutlures using Junket rennet.

Making a Mesophilic Starter Culture

1. Start with 2 cups of FRESH or store bought Cultured Buttermilk. 
2. Let the 2 Cups of buttermilk reach room temp. (70 F/ 21 C).
3. Then allow the buttermilk to ripen for about 6-8 hrs. (Store bought buttermilk does not have a high enough concentration of bacteria to serve as a starter culture without ripening.)
4. The resulting buttermilk will be much thicker and sour then what you started with.  It should have the consistency of fresh yogurt, if it doesn't let it sit a few more hours.
5. Pour this culture into a full sized CLEAN ice cube tray and put into your FREEZER. As with all steps of cheese making, cleanliness is next to godliness.
6. Once frozen, remove the cubes and put into a CLEAN sealed container or plastic freezer bags.  It is a good idea to label the container to distinguish it from your thermophilic culture.
7. The resulting ice cubes are each 1 oz of mesophilic starter. 
8. Add these cubes (thawed) to your recipes as required. The cubes will keep for about one month.

To make more starter simply thaw one cube and add into 2 cups of fresh milk.  Mix thoroughly with a fork or a whisk. Allow the milk/culture to stand at room temperature (70 F/ 21 C) for 16-24 hours or until the consistency of fresh yogurt. Then follow from step 5.   

mcfly

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
Thank you all.

I managed to make some buttermilk starter the other week and made 2 cheddars, one with 2 cube and one with 4 cubes per gallon. Im still in testing phase as I'm new to this cheesemaking. My guess would be one would be more acidic than the other? 

Actually, while Im on the question.. Whats the difference in using 1 cube and letting it ripen for 3 hours and using 4 cubes and letting it ripen for 1 hour??

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Actually, while Im on the question.. Whats the difference in using 1 cube and letting it ripen for 3 hours and using 4 cubes and letting it ripen for 1 hour??

If the milk was completely sterile, it would be about the same. But milk has bacteria in it, and if you underinoculate, it gives other bacteria a chance to grow for a longer period of time. This may lead to cheese defects or off flavors.