Author Topic: cream separator for sheep milk  (Read 6000 times)

patit

cream separator for sheep milk
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I just received word that I will be fostering a cow starting in July. (I'm so excited!)  But ultimately, I am planning on having dairy sheep.  The cow is just temporary.

I don't want to spend $400 or $500 for a cream separator for a temporary cow.  But I will eventually want a cream separator for my sheep milk. 

Do any of you sheep people have a good recommendation for a separator that works well with sheep milk?  Maybe it makes no difference, but it's my understanding that sheep milk is naturally homogenized, and I thought perhaps one separator might work better than another.

Thanks!

homeacremom

Re: cream separator for sheep milk
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
I don't think it makes a difference. At least all  the manual separators I am aware of  are adjustable by several methods to customize the process to the milk you are using.

We are using this one for goat milk, which, as you might know, is also naturally homogenized.
http://www.allivet.com/Cream-Separator-p/50039.htm

patit

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
Thanks, H.A.M.  I have seen reference to that separator on the forum.  I will be looking into it further.

I really appreciate having a place that I can ask questions that reflect that I have absolutely no idea what I am getting myself into.    ;)

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:39:38 AM »
Nope, makes no difference as to the type of milk. The fat molecules are physically a little smaller, but that doesn't matter too much, they're still heavier.

patit

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:05:37 PM »
thanks linuxboy!

littlemilkqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »
I dont know a lot about separators but got an old one on ebay a couple years ago for I think under 100 including shipping. No instructions and no brand name. I had to research quite a bit to understand how they work in general to know what to do! and it can be a bit tricky but it works nicely. It is a hand crank one.

littlemilkqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
oh I should mention I have goats, not sheep, but same concept right?  :)

jackdag

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
Ther will be no diffence, you can see www.triplejmanufacturing.com we have electric version