Author Topic: Second Blue attempt  (Read 1594 times)

Knoal

Second Blue attempt
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
Well, I was feeling excited about my new hobby and tired making a blue inoculated with a slab of blue cheese cut from the inside of a Gorgonzola.

It blued up, everything seemed happy.  :)

Then it stared to leak.  All of the cheesy goodness just started flowing out the bottom.  After a week I knew I wasn't going to eat it.  I kind of dreaded cleaning up the mess, so I let it set.  Below is the result. :o

At work we got a nice bonus, subsequently, I have been to the cheesemaker.com and bought right proper inoculates.  I made a cheddar yesterday, which I will post in another thread.

For your viewing pleasure:

mtncheesemaker

Re: Second Blue attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
Hi Knoal,
How long from start to finish? Did you have white mold growing at any time? What was the temp for ageing? (I've had a similar problem with a blue.)
Pam

Knoal

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
Pam,

Start to finish was about a month.

I had it in a big tupperware in my 'cheese cave' wine cooler for about a month @ 55F.  I kept the lid on the tupperware, so the humidity may have been too high.  I opened it a crack once it started leaking to de humidify it.

I did not add any white mild to the cheese (nor could I identify white mold)  The molds growing on the outside of the cheese were white brown and blue.

I think I remember someone mentioning that additng a white mold solved this problem.

I have purchaced the white molds and have high hopes again.   :D

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
Actually, I think the white mold caused the problem. I have had the same problem with too high humidity which encourages the white (geo) mold to go crazy and cause slip skin which is the oozing. It's a bit of a balancing act as the blue wants a certain humidity, too.
I get white mold naturally on everything now, so I just have to control it.
Pam

Knoal

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »
Thank you, good to know.

At least I'm experimenting with the cheap milk!  Raw runs $17 in Oregon.....  :(

Knoal