Author Topic: Draining bag  (Read 7084 times)

zameluzza

Draining bag
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:37:37 AM »
this is a little strange, but way not give it a try,recently I was at the dollar store getting some things and I came across some Laundry Bag 22"x30" 56cm x 76cm  it feels like nylon and when I washed it the water run out like a charm, I will give it a try and report back on how it worked, could be good for Quark or creamcheese :) hey for $1.00 not bad if it works :)

there is a picture of it in my blog on my last entry friday may 21.
http://zameluzza.blogspot.com/

MarkShelton

Re: Draining bag
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
I could have used that when I made my stilton! It calls for ladeling the curd into a cheesecloth lined colander in lieu of cutting it. I apparently didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize that my one cheesecloth and kitchen colander wasn't going to be big enough. This would be perfect for it!

zameluzza

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »
hey check the dollar store,

I will try it out, and if it works and you can not find one let me know and I will send you one :)

padams

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
I found paint strainers at my local ace hardware....nylon bags.  So far they have held up to my cheese press and washing them three times.  i love them!  I will have to check the dollar store for the ones you found!

zameluzza

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:32:15 AM »
they seem to work :)
I have to get 2 more tomorrow :)

padams

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:28 AM »
Very cool!  That's a great picture, Zameluzza!  What are you making?

zameluzza

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
Very cool!  That's a great picture, Zameluzza!  What are you making?

thanks :) the front one is cream cheese, and the back one shoul;d be Quark, hopefully the Quark will be ok this time, it's the 3th time I try and it's still not perfect *LOL*

zameluzza

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »
I have to say these dollar store bags works perfectly..
if anyone does not find any, let me know, I'm willing to get some and ship them to you, no matter where you are, I just want the $ for the bags and the cost that costs for shipping, I would open the bag and remob=ve that little plastic button, you don't need that and it will fit in a simple envy :)
just let me know OK :)

MarkShelton

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:40:05 AM »
I'll definitely have to get one! Great innovation!

zameluzza

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:10:41 AM »
the nice thing is, when it drains it does not get sticky *LOL* look at the Quark, the one at the back, front one waws cream cheese

I will get 2 more for myself on Friday night, leme know if I have to pick up more :)

Andrewqld

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:48:09 AM »
Great idea, how do you think they would go as a replacement for cheese cloth when pressing cheese in a mold?

Cheers
Andrew

zameluzza

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:53:17 AM »
Great idea, how do you think they would go as a replacement for cheese cloth when pressing cheese in a mold?

Cheers
Andrew

I'm pretty sure they would work, I have not used them for cheese myself, for cheese I use these Cheese bandage netting 40"x40"

MarkShelton

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »
As far as cosmetics, I think the nylon bag would leave creases in the cheese. Cheesecloth is nice because the cotton threads can be stretched a little and you can get the creases out, but nylon wouldn't. Seems like a little thing to nit-pick about, but I think I border on OCD in that regard...  :P

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
What is "Cheese bandage netting" ???

zameluzza

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
What is "Cheese bandage netting" ???

good morning sailor :)
hmm cheese bandage netting is what I buy at glengarry cheese making supply

""Cheese bandage netting
Re-usable plastic sheet. To use in cheese hoop or mould. Leaves a nice rind on the cheese"

it's on the website
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/accessories.htm

you know the vaccuum sealer bags from cabela's , they have that netting strip in it, the cloth looks exactly like that, and you can wash it and reuse it again, that's all I have been using to line my molds, I use these as a big sheet at first, then when I redress I have 2 circles and one long strip where I dress my cheese. then it goes back in to the mold.