Author Topic: Visiting Wisconsin next month - artisinal cheesemakers to visit?  (Read 1848 times)

marksto

I am planning a trip to southwestern Wisconsin next month to the area around Madison and New Glarus, and would like to visit some artisinal cheesemakers. I've found some websites like this: http://www.wisconline.com/attractions/cheese.html_mashup.html that list a bewildering array of cheesemaking operations in the area.

Can anyone recommend particular places to visit or native cheeses to try?

Cheese Head

Re: Visiting Wisconsin next month - artisinal cheesemakers to visit?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
Mark, I've never been to Wisconsin but there is a link here to tours, one in Wisconsin, same website but more targeted to what you are looking for than your link.

Let us know and take notes & pictures!

JMB

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »
HI,
I live in SW Wisconsin about 50 miles from Madison.  There are lots of places that make artisan cheeses around here, some big and some small family farmstead. Goat, sheep and cow.  Google in Wisconsin Specialty Cheese and there is a list of artisan cheese makers.  One place to go would be the Farmers Market in Madison.  There are many artisan cheeses to taste and buy there if you are on a tasting mission.  For some affinuers that is their only market and they do very well.  It is a large farmers market located on the square surrounding the state capital building in Madison.  Great Saturday time. Get there early in the morning because some vendors are gone by 11AM.  Another town to visit is Monroe, WI.  It is about a 2 hr drive from Madison.  They have  a deep history of artisan cheesemaking there.  Roth Kase is located there, they are one of my favs.  They have a cheese fest but I think it is in the fall.  I also like Sartori Foods which is in Plymoth, WI.  Have not been there but I am a big fan of their parms.  Roelli Cheese in Schullsburg, WI makes Dunbarton Blue. To me it tastes sort of like a bandaged cheddar and blue combination. I have no idea of how they make it but it is truly wonderful.  An outstanding cheese in Dodgeville, WI is Pleasant Ridge Reserve--a hard washed rind.  WOW that is great stuff.  The best sheep I have ever had is Dante & Mona from Wis Sheep Dairy Coop.  Best bandaged cheddar is from Blue Mont Dairy--that Googles in too. If you really want a cheese trip you have to stop at Fromagination, it's on the Square in Madison.  If you go to farmers market in Madison on Sat they are one of the stores located on the market street or on the side street from the market.  It has hundreds of truly artisan cheeses from all over.  Your taste buds will be bursting.  Now that place is a trip. I am an affinuer myself and that's my list of favorites from all that I have tasted.  Most of these places will Google in for you so enjoy--and enjoy Wisconsin. 
Smile and say cheese. Sorry--that was pretty cheesey wasn't it?  ;D
Jen

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
I live in NE Wisconsin, and feel very fortunate to have so many great cheese makers just a short drive away in just about any direction. Before you visit, go to www.wisdairy.com/cheesetourmap and download the map. I have used it on trips around the state and found it to be a great resource. Enjoy America's Dairyland

marksto

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
Good information, thanks folks. Since I plan to base out of Madison I'll plan to make Fromagination one of my first stops, that should help me sample and figure out which places to try and visit.

marksto

A postscript to my earlier post about visting Wisconsin cheesemaking operations. In Mid-June I drove down from Minneapolis and spent two night in Madison before heading back to Mnpls to fly out. I visited three cheesemaking operations and one commercial dairy. I have pictures and some additional narrative posted here: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll5/marksto/Wisconsin%20Cheese/

The areas south and west of Madison are one of several primary zones within Wisconsin with extensive dairy operations, and cheesemaking obviously follows. It is beautiful country with rolling green hills and small to medium dairy farms just about everywhere. In this area I visited the Edelweiss Creamery and the Silver-Lewis cheese cooperative. Edelweiss is relatively new, having begun about 8 years is the building that formerly housed Prima Kase cheese, and Silver Lewis is around 100 years old.

Finally, on the drive back to Mnpls I stopped at Hollands cheese in Thorp in central Wisconsin. Hollands has been running since 19XX by a family who emigrated from Holland. They are a farmstead operation, with one part of the family owning the dairy and another the creamery. The milk is piped directly into the creamery from the adjacent dairy. They make strictly gouda cheeses, with about 20 different varieties and ages.

It was really interesting to see these different operations and I especially enjoyed learning about the dairy and milk operations behind the cheesemaking. I now understand much better the concepts behind artisanal and farmstead operations. Interestingly, none of the ones I visited were truly traditional in using both milk from pasture cows and an unpasteurized product. Edelweiss does use some pasture milk in their swiss but they pasteurize it, and Hollands uses raw milk but it is not pasture. One thing I would do different the next time is try to nail down some of the cheesemakers that are truly traditional in incorporating both. The sheer number of cheesemakers in the state makes it a bit of a chore to deduce down but it would be worth the effort.

One other interesting bit of info – Wisconsin is the only state that requires a license to make cheese. Also, I wish I had taken a picture of the menu and pricing at the small retail counter at Silver-Lewis cooperative. I was stunned to learn that the prices were all per-pound. They had about 18 different cheeses made on site and all were in the $2-$5 per lb range. Where I’m from, you can’t touch any cheese you’d want to eat for less than at least $8-$9 per lb. Talk about cheap…