Author Topic: Cow in flat  (Read 4647 times)

cheeselover

Cow in flat
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
I live in a flat. Can I keep a cow indoors and if so, will a single cow provide enough milk to procure a reasonable yield of cheese for personal consumption? Please bear in mind that I do eat a lot of cheese.

padams

Re: Cow in flat
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
I am trying to decide if you are serious or not.....

A cow is the last animal that you would want to try to keep indoors.

cheeselover

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I have a large, well drained room and I'm quite keen to start making my own cheese. I'm also curious as to what different types of cheese I can produce from one cow. If for example I want to make edam and Stilton, do I need two different cows?

Brie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:51:08 AM »
You can use the same cow for both cheeses--I hope you have very large beds!

MK1

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:55:35 AM »
reminds me of the joke about the old woman that moved the pig into the house to help keep it warm. The neighbors on hearing about it exclaimed "What about the smell?" The old woman replied "He'll get used to it!"

Mark

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
You might as well turn one of the other rooms to a vegie garden and use the manure  ;D

Now back to seriousnes: What are you going to do with the manure and urine. No matter how good is the drainage, it will get clogged in time. And what the authorities like city council or RSPCA will say about this pet. And I hope you are on the ground floor otherwise it will take a lot of effort to walk the cow to upstairs.

If you are realy keen to keep a dairy animal indoors, I recommend pixie goats. It is a dwarf goat for milking.

vavroom

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »
I guess there are trolls everywhere.

Then again, it wasn't *that* long ago that people still lived in long houses where 1/2 was for human living quarters and the other 1/2 was for livestock...  :o

padams

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »
Very, very true, Nic....but they didn't have flats! 

I grew up on a dairy farm.  It's hard enough to get a cow to go to the barn, let alone up a flight of stairs!  Hope the elevator works!

BigCheese

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:44 AM »
In India it can be quite common. You can scoop up the patties, press em against the wall, and when dry, use them as fuel to heat your cheese ^-^. But ultimately, for this to work in a flat you would need to be so far from people that you would not be in a flat. Thats my opinion.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
You can try pretty much any cheese with goat's milk. You may need to alter the recipe slightly though.

I made crottin and some p. and g. candidum ripened cheeses with goat milk like camembert or brie. There are people on the forum who made cheddar types as well.

Good Luck and don't forget to post pictures in future  :) .

Amatolman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
If you could train the goat to walk on the ceiling you could really maximize your space. Just watch out for falling "goat apples"

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
It's goat berries, not apples.  Horses do apples.  Cows do pies.  Goats do berries.

What is llama poo called?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:33:56 PM by Alice in TX/MO »

coffee joe

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
A cow like this would do, possibly! 7-8 liters per day for the best producers of this size.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
I burst into tears.

Who says genetic engineering is bad... Can we get chicken genes on this so we get egg to. >:D