Author Topic: New Cheese Vat  (Read 3834 times)

TroyG

New Cheese Vat
« on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
Figured I should share a pic of our new toy. This is the best way to make cheese ever.  ;D Well for me.  :P

Can make 2-22 gallons.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: New Cheese Vat
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
What brand? Where did you get it?

TroyG

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »
Got it from Micro Dairy Designs.

http://www.microdairydesigns.com/

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
I wonder haw can I get WAF for this  >:D

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »
Very very nice, for others and in case link disappears, the product's description is:
The system includes:
1) A legal pasteurizer with agitator, airspace heater, water jacket heater (no boiler required), approved thermometers, chart recorder.  Capacity for batches from 2 to 22 gallons. Designed to function as a pasteurizer, cheese vat, yogurt vat and even as a small "bulk tank."

2) A packager for glass and plastic bottles as well as foil-seal yogurt cups.  It will handle packages as small as a half ounce and as large as gallon jugs.

3) Sanitary tube pump

4) Chiller

And of course, factory delivery, set up and training is available.
So this looks like way more than just a vat, although looks like you opted out of the packager, I'm very envious! Assume the single pen chart recorder is to record temperature? Can you describe a bit more all the parts? Thx!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »
Sweet. After seeing this, I am not posting any more pics of my homemade setup.  :-[ ;D  Between this and the press you are really in business. Can't wait to see what you produce. Very green with envy. Good luck and congrats.

TroyG

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
Thanks everyone! It has been a long road with more hours spent than I would like to think about, but we are finally here. It feels so good to know what we have accomplished over the last three years.

John….we needed a pasteurizer (and required items that go along with this), pump and cheese vat.  The chiller would have been great as well as the bottler, but we were on a budget.  I figured a good press was better and since I already have a 49 cu ft. commercial fridge (you can see a portion of the fridge in the right hand side of the photo) I knew I could use that to store milk. We also run off a well so the water is cold enough to chill the vat down for making cheese.

We use the pump to move the milk around rather it be into the vat, out of the vat or into bottles.  The pump never touches the milk so the only thing you have to clean is the hose. Very cool design!

Chart recorder records the temperature of the product and we have to keep our charts for 6 months. Along with this we have the air space and product thermometers (accurate within 1/2 degree) which you read and write on the chart at the beginning and end of pasteurization. Little black box is the air space heater and to the right of that is the agitator control.

The vat has two different sized liners you can use which gives you the flexibility of doing 2 – 22 gallons although if you are not pasteurizing you can get about 25 gallons in the large liner. The liners are shaped exactly the same as the outside so when I cut the curds they never try to spin on me which is great.

Let me know if this help and if you have any more question.