Author Topic: surface ripened blue goat cheese  (Read 2371 times)

mulish

surface ripened blue goat cheese
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »
Anyone have a recipe? 
I have not had the pleasure of tasting: http://www.chevre.com/aggoatchees.html , but like the look/idea of these, especially the  Classic Blue Log & the Hubbardston blue. 

The blue log looks like a simple chevre that has been sprayed? with a mold solution? 

I'm attracted to this cheese because I'm finding that I simply do not have the time to curdsit or do cuttings, stirrings & gradual temperature changes over 30 min to hours. 
Life + goat herd has left me with cheesemaking time in 15 - 20 min pieces, which is perfect for simple chevres.  Culture, wait, mold/drain, wait, flip, wait, store/enjoy is the recipe that is working best here, but I long for blue!

Any help would be appreciated!

jc

linuxboy

Re: surface ripened blue goat cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
Yep exactly; it's a chevre packed into a log mold or a cake decorator device that can press out logs, and sprayed with a p. roqueforti solution.

mulish

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
thanks! 
is it possible to make this spray-on solution with storebought blue cheese?  if so, how?

jc

tnsven

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
Hello JC. I too am intrigued by this surface ripened cheese! And would love to hear your results/recipes.

I believe you can make your own solution for the surface. From Fankhauser's cheese page:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Blue_Cheese/Blue_Cheese.htm

See step 3. I'm sure you could spray it.

I am far from an expert here. Perhaps you can even add the P. Roqueforti powder to your cheese like is done with the white mold ripened cheeses.

Perhaps someone else will pipe up.

Kristin

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:17:07 AM »
Yes, puree in buffered or distilled water, filter out heavy solid particles, and it should work. Please note this requires your blue mold to be active. If it is not very strong, you will need to grow it to an acceptable colony level first in a nutrient broth.

tnsven

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
How do you grow it, Linux Boy?

Also, how long does the purchased mold powder last? If it is unopened & frozen will it last past the expiration date? I know I should have used them sooner but I did not have this forum available for inspiration!  ;D

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
Sorry, never answered this. You grow it in a special soup that has all the nutrients for the mold to grow. It will remain viable for a very long time, depending on the storage temp. At -70C or so, it will last many decades. In a normal freezer, my guess is 2-5% degradation in viability per year, assuming it was never exposed to extreme temps during shipping. Realistically, it will last 10-20 years in a normal freezer, but you may have to use more as it gets older.