Author Topic: Seconb blue is better than the first, white mold  (Read 1278 times)

vogironface

Seconb blue is better than the first, white mold
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:07:25 AM »
I am about 2 weeks into my second blue.  This one is roughly a one pound wheel like the last one.  I did not keep make notes on this one so I am a bit out of luck if I need to go back and figure out what I did.  I noticed a real nice blue bloom within about seven days but it seems to be giving way to a white mold.  (I love my camembert and only have one aging cave so I seem to have a lot of white spores.)

Tonight I made a pretty harsh acid solution of about 5 cups of water and 1 Tbs vinegar.  Don't know what the PH is but I wouldn't want to drink it.  :)  I have soaked the whole cheese for about 20 seconds and then put it back in the proofing box without drying it.  This makes for a pretty wet cheese but it should dry out by tomorrow and I hope the acid wile wipe out those nasty little white molds.  That should teach them!!!  I plan on spritzing the cheese with blue mold once it dries out a bit.  Maybe a few times.

I will try to remember to post a photo of the effect in a few days.

Anyone else run into this and find a way to banish the unwanted mold?

mtncheesemaker

Re: Seconb blue is better than the first, white mold
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
I always get white mold on just about everything, too. With a blue, I usually just rub it by hand or with a salt brine. Just be careful leaving it too wet as I've had slipskin on the blues from too much humidity and white mild.

Gina

Re: Seconb blue is better than the first, white mold
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »
Could the white fungi you are seeing just be the mycellial growth of the P. roq.? It's just the spores that are blue, the fungal 'body' is white. Of course the same can be said of many other fungi.

Here is a photo of P. roq. growing on a petri plate. :)