Author Topic: press size  (Read 2088 times)

chickenchaps

press size
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
I am new here, but been reading for quite a while. 
Brief introduction, I have my own goats I breed and then milk.  I have only been making motzerella and ricotta (and yogurt and ice cream) for years.  I am now venturing into trying other kinds of cheeses. 

I am making a cheese press and want to make a farmhouse cheddar first.
For a 6" diameter press tube (is that called the hoop?) how many gallons of milk must be used? 
Can I use that size with only one gallon, or two, or more?
What about a 4" diameter? 

Thanks!

Alex

Re: press size
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Depending on the hoop height that should be about the same as the diameter, in a 6" hoop you'll be able to fill curds from 3-4 gallons of milk. A 4" hoop is a little too small for hard cheese, may be a Baby Gouda, I use 1-1/2 gallons of milk.

chickenchaps

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:51:44 PM »
Would it not be good then, to use the 6" hoop for 2 gallons of milk?  Would it be too thin?

Why is 4" too small for hard cheese? 

Alex

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
2 gallons of course will make a thinner cheese.
To be more precise, a 4" hard cheese is too small only if you want to make it with some type of natural rind. If you intend to wax it or vacuum pack it, it should be OK.

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. As Alex said if you make a 4 inch cheese and you have a quarter inch rind there isn't a lot of cheese left to eat.  :)  Good luck.

chickenchaps

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »
Oh ok.  I understand.  :)  I didnt get it.  lol 
Thanks!  I'm gonna have to get a bigger pot!  :)

Minamyna

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
I just made some really small cheddars in some of these molds, they should be okay if I wax them after 5 days?