Author Topic: Brewing & Cheesemaking - Cross Contamination  (Read 1332 times)

JohnnyBHammerer

Brewing & Cheesemaking - Cross Contamination
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
I have been wondering is making cheese is going to problematic for brewing in regards to cross contamination?

Initially I figured that lots of bacteria and yeast are all around so good sanitation practices are necessary and sufficient for either process.  So, no problem, I am diligent with sanitary practices.  However, the more I think about it critters like brettanomyces come with recommendations like not mixing any cold side equipment between brett and non-brett beers.  Some don't mix any equipment or locations to avoid problems.  I'd really hate to start getting unintended sour beers.  Any known issues or special precautions?  Thanks.

MK1

Re: Brewing & Cheesemaking - Cross Contamination
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 02:53:30 AM »
I brew a lot, about 4 years experience and from what JZ says, use good sanitation practices, maybe separate racking tubing and you shouldn't have a problem. When you think about how much bacteria and yeast is coating everything, you're really not changing the equation that much. I feel the biggest source of cross-contamination would come from handling successively.  I use a covered  container of prepared sanitizer (star-san) dip my hands and wait one minute before handling the sensitive items.  From what I've read most problems brewers have come from milling grain too close to fermentation and racking areas.

Mark

JohnnyBHammerer

Re: Brewing & Cheesemaking - Cross Contamination
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
Thanks.  Starsan is very drying to my hands , so I use gloves a lot.  They don't mind.  I'll be sure to remain diligent.  I mill on the drive way and blow the dust away towards the yard.  That definitely helps keep grain dust out of the brewing area.  Over time I have been trying to decrease air exposure on the cold side too by pumping wort instead of pouring etc.  As long as my cheese doesn't sour my beer I'll be happy.http://www.youtube.com/user/jongiauk#p/a/f/2/2HRwq7_kTAQ