Author Topic: Cheese Press - Pneumatic (Air) Cylinder?  (Read 1713 times)

JohnnyBHammerer

Cheese Press - Pneumatic (Air) Cylinder?
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »
Any tips on getting a pneumatic cylinder for a reasonable price?

I was thinking about what could be used for this and asked a friend if he had any ideas.  He suggested a pop up sprinkler.  He said that he uses them to power some Halloween decorations including a chair that lifts people a few inches off of the ground.  I MacGyvered a 3" popup body I had on hand for a test.  There is some potential, but had a few issues.  It was applying pressure to a scale at about 1/2 the rate of the PSI applied.  The ram/popup seals reliably fully open and straight.  That is if the ram was not strait it took a little fussing to get a seal.  Rainbird's popups are rated to 70PSI and I think have a larger diameter then the one I was testing which should give a better ratio.

Minamyna

Re: Cheese Press - Pneumatic (Air) Cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:26:44 PM »
My uncle found a great on on ebay I think for $60, I will ask him where exactly if there was a store. He is building me one.

FarmerJd

Re: Cheese Press - Pneumatic (Air) Cylinder?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
Here is a thread where we discussed the size cylinder needed to produce the desired psi on the cheese. Remember that the psi in the cylinder is not the same as the psi on the cheese. The link I posted shows a very nice press that Eric built but that did not produce the pressure needed for some cheeses. You may be aware of this but I thought I'd let you know in case yo didn't. Good Luck.