Author Topic: a few questions on milk ( raw and pasteurized)  (Read 1395 times)

dr chedder

a few questions on milk ( raw and pasteurized)
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
hi all if i was to get 1 us gallon of milk thats 6.5 (i think pints) how much cheese would i get from that? and just to make sure if i x2 that so 2 us gallon of milk would i get x2 of cheese and so on....

could you also give me a run down on the difference in raw and pasteurized milk i live in the uk but i think it should be the same in the us i imagin its cheaper to start with but what about the finished cheese how much better is it when using raw

tellner

Re: a few questions on milk ( raw and pasteurized)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »
How much cheese you get depends on the kind of cheese you are making. An acid-coagulated cheese will give a different yield than a rennet or rennet and bacterially fermented cheese. The aging if any also has an effect. See individual recipes for an idea as to what to expect.

The merits of raw milk have been discussed at length here. The search function is your friend.

A US gallon is 128 cubic inches or eight pints.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
Hi Doc

There some info here on Milk, and here on milk processing, rule-of-thumb cheese yield from different milk types is here, and typical fat contents here.

Many here prefere raw milk, but many use store bought pasteurized whole cow's milk which is what I use and works fine. I think I saw a post from member Linuxboy that raw ages quicker.

Also, for others, there is a Units Converter here.

What sort of cheeses do you want to start with?

dr chedder

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »
i would like to keep my chedder as i find its a kind of universal cheese  lol but would like to do brie,Stilton and parmesan.

i thought each type would give different amount i think i was ment to add some thing onto that but forgot lol. of course there going to make different amount sorry for that lol

thank you for your links john there going to be usfull to me