Author Topic: First Roblochon Unveiled  (Read 2405 times)

Brie

First Roblochon Unveiled
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
My first Roblochon--at 60 days-great creamy taste. I innoculated milk with a pinch of p.candidum, and you can see the mold that accumulated. Have heard best to spray close to affinage to achieve best results. Any thoughts or experiences? Also, the pic of the cheese had been sitting in the sun a bit long.

Alex

Re: First Roblochon Unveiled
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
Never made Reblochon. All surface mould ripened cheeses I make, I always inoculate the milk with the moulds, P.Candidum and B.Linens.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:05:57 AM »
They really look nice. I have 8 of them at the 4 week stage and will be going away for 10 days. I hope they don't get all moldy on me. I knocked down the white mold layer considerably. Just don't like it much.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:44:50 AM »
The paste looks delicious! Beautiful texture ...congrats!

I have 3 of them aging now. Though I am not sure if I am doing the rind correctly. (I alternate salt rubbing, bacteria washing and brushing).

As for yours, it seems to be totally covered with PC. Shouldn't it have a mix of orange and white? They very from farm to farm and from farm to factory, as well as the different age conditions in which they sell but as far as I know, the older they get the less white and more orange you see on them. Kind of like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Reblochon_AOC.jpg

What kind of milk did you use? Really looks yummy!

Brie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »
I used raw milk, Ira, with a quart of raw cream mixed in. I do believe the excessive white mold is because I innoculated the milk with p.candidium, rather than spray on at the end of affinage. I learned my lesson on that faux-paux and made my second batch without. Never sprayed on the p. cand either and it looks just fine.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:29:07 AM »
But did you innoculate any B.Linen? Did you see any sign of orange before the white covered it?

Brie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »
No, did not innoculate with b.linens. Sprayed on daily for two weeks (small pinch in salt solution). The p.candidum was much more visible; with red overtones underneath. With the second batch, I did not innoculate with p.candidum. Both batches were sprayed with b.linens every other day for two weeks. Here's the pic of second batch--geo only and b. linen spray.  Quite a tangy cheese!

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:32:05 AM »
Yea, that looks more like the color. I assume you didn't wipe or brush it. Wild. How many days is this one? Oh, the craving!

Brie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
Yes, I did wash with b. linens and salt water for the first few weeks--should have wrapped after that.