Author Topic: Salting Feta at room temp  (Read 1698 times)

justsocat

Salting Feta at room temp
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »
I face a problem, I don't have enough cold space  :) I used aging area for salting feta but it's overfilled now :(
Has anyone an experience of salting Feta in brine at room temperature? Is it possible? Can the cheese be spoiled?

Alex

Re: Salting Feta at room temp
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:36:29 AM »
Hello Pavel,

Feta can be kept in brine, if you are able to fill the container to the very top, seal the container and flip it. The purpose is to make sure no oxygen will be in contact with the cheese. You can preserve this way for long periods.

justsocat

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:57:37 AM »
Thank you, Alex :)
The matter is i make feta by 40l batches now and prepare to go up to 500l. It could be some difficulties to flip a container with 60 kg of cheese and appr the same quantity of brine in it. But i get the point - if i can prevent contact with oxygen it will work

Alex

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »
Feta is kept in tin boxes of 18-20 L, so you'll have to devide your big outcome into smaller portions.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
See pics of my feta in anoter thread in the lounge (under "Weekend cheese tastings").  This feta was made, then salted and stored at room temp for 3 days before going into the brine.  This produced a nice, firm cheese prior to brining.

I added a little calcium choride to the milk and also a tiny bit to the brine..  Once the cheese went into the brine it was put in my "cave" which doesn't get above 55°.

As the Fias Co. farms recipe states, make sure you tell your loved ones that you're making cheese, otherwise they'll mistake the smelly mass for old gym socks.

--
Michael Dow