Author Topic: Manga Manechego!  (Read 2818 times)

Brie

Manga Manechego!
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:54:55 AM »
I was a bit leary about presenting my manchego, as my brother is a devout fan. He tasted it and loved it. I made it with a smoked paprika rind. Enjoy!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Manga Manechego!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
Lovely just lovely I almost asked what this was eariler but you promised more pictures so I waited patiently and was rewarded with more delectible cheese pictures. How does one clap on a forum??

<clap> <clap><clap>

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »
You should make a mahon (sp?) It's another Spanish cheese, one of the few that are actually made from cow's milk. I'm not sure exactly how it's made, but I think it's like a Monteray Jack in the way it's pressed in a tied-up cheesecloth without a mold. It's then rubbed with oil and spices, mainly paprika, to get the orange rind like that.

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
I'd like to find a recipe for Mahon--althought reding about in Jenkin's book, it doesn't say anything about the spices on the rind. It is name-contolled, and supposedly aged beneath the ground for up to 8 months, so I am wondering if it is washed in B-linens.  Have you tasted it? Always up for a new adventure!

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:16:08 AM »
can you describe the process you did (in detail ;D) for this rind? It is a very nice yet simple rind that I could see using often. How long do your dry the rind before you begin addid paprika, etc etc?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 03:49:13 AM »
I think I posted that recipe here about a year ago. Very good cheese! Bitto is also and easy to make.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:53:19 AM »
Couldn't find it but here it is again.

Mahón – Spain – Deejay’s

Ingredients:
7 gallons whole milk
½ teaspoon MM100
1/4 teaspoon kid lipase
Calcium Chloride
1-1/2 teaspoons Rennet

Heat milk to 86-88ºF.
Add cultures, Calcium Chloride, lipase and ripen for 45 minutes.
Add rennet – should be ready to cut in 40 to 60 minutes.  
Cut curd into rice like pieces and rest for 5 minutes.
Cook curds stirring gently for 30 minutes or until springy.
Collect curds in cheese cloth and squeeze out excess whey.
Place curds in a square mold and press lightly with 5 pounds of weight for 15 minutes.
Flip and press again for 15 minutes.
Final press is over night with 25 pounds of weight.
Place cheese in saturated brine for 24 hours, flipping to ensure even salting.
Air dry for 2 days or until dry t the touch.
Place in cave at 45 to 50°F and 85% humidity for 1 month.
Rub cheese with olive oil and paprika.
The rind is smooth, closed, but oily, yellow or slightly orange, due to the treatment with paprika. The interior is compact, with holes of different sizes, and an ivory to bright yellow color, and brownish beige on the edges.  
The taste is very particular, slightly acidic and salty, but not buttery. It can be milky and humid when fresh, and dry, strong and piquant as the aging grows.  

TIERNO – a smooth cheese with a yellow/white color and thin, soft and elastic crust. A lactic aroma with a mild hint of butter and light acidic characteristics. (21-60 days).  

SEMI – an unmistakably characteristic cheese with a compact rind that will vary from pale yellow (typical of young cheeses) to orange/brown if it is artisan. Firm and easy to cut, this ivory/yellow cheese will darken as it matures and features a variable number of small, unevenly distributed holes. The taste is mild, slightly salty and acidic with hints of butter and roasted hazelnuts. (2-5 months).  

CURADO - A delight for cheese lovers with a firm, hard and notably less elastic texture and a reddish rind. Once in the advanced stages of maturation, this cheese becomes more brittle and flaky when cut. These cheeses have a complex and intense aroma and a salty, woody, leathery taste that lingers long in the mouth. (5 months)

Brie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:58:23 AM »
Thanks so much for the recipe, Deb--will try this weekend. As for the question about the paprika rind--I had previously brined the cheese for 6 hours. Dried for a week in the cave at 50 degrees. Mixed smoked paprika with olive oil and spread on cheese daily for one week. Let age another two weeks and then vac-packed. I imagine you can use this method with any aged cheese. I love this site!