Author Topic: Campo de Montalban Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 4142 times)

Telyak

Campo de Montalban Cheese Making Recipe
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
Morning to All!  Just stumbled across this wonderful website/forum recently & have truly enjoyed the wealth of information shared.  Been making cheese for awhile now, but wanting to ramp up my processes/experimentation.  Since going to Spain last year, I've searched across the net for any off the beaten path Basque recipes, as well as for the blended Campo de Montalban of La Mancha breakdown (my wife has been breaking my head for this one).  Would anyone have recipes or resources they're willing to share?  Thanks in advance for everyone's time & consideration in their responses.   :)

Alex

Re: Campo de Montalban Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »
You can't duplicate it, because you don't have access to that genuine milk. It's a very similar cheese to Manchego. Manchego is made from sheep's milk from La Mancha, and Campo de Montalban is made from a mix of cow's, goat's and sheep's milk from the same region.
You can follow a Manchego recipe and use any milk available for you. That's what I did, with a little twist. Instead of wrapping it with the Esparto grass (as originally made), I used fresh grape leaves.

Telyak

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
Alex:
Thank you for your response, et encouragement.  Is there a specific manchego recipe you follow with your twist for best results?  What volume/percentage breakdown of each milk do you use?  Any directions are greatly appreciated!  Have a great day!
Lee

Alex

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
Hello Lee,

Attached is the recipe I've followed, with bold text in the ingredients section, describing the actual ingredients used by me, including raw unpasteurized milk and Lipase. The cheese was aged for 90 days, wrapped with the leaves after 30 days and occasionally washed with brine. I am really not sure about the contribution of the leaves to the final taste, but a nice look.
As for the Campo de Montalban, if you can get all kinds of milk, I would use 1/3 of each.

Telyak

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
Alex:
Thank you HUGE for your reply.  I'm going to set about making it within the next couple of weeks.  By-the-by, your photos of your cheese are very impressive - makes me hungry.
Lee

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Webmaster's edit - moved discussion of leaf wrapping cheese to this thread.