Author Topic: Cheese Labels  (Read 4504 times)

mokumeguy

Cheese Labels
« on: September 13, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »
Hello all.
I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and finally decided to start posting. My first question is what everyone does about labeling natural rind cheeses as you get more of them in your cave. I will be making my fourth Swiss or Italian type today, and I can just see myself getting them all mixed up in a couple of months when I have 15 of them in there. I will try to take photos of my first Gruyere later today and post them.

Thanks

Tea

Re: Cheese Labels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
Good morning Mokumeguy.   A good question and one I have pondered myself.  You can get edible ink pens that are used for cake icing, and I have been wondering whether they could be used to mark the rinds.  Going to have to try one and see.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum and good question ???! But I have no idea, edible pens idea sounds good, here's on on Amazon.com in USA.

mokumeguy

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
The pens do sound good. I ordered that set from Amazon yesterday. Will let you know how they work.
What I don't think they will hold up to is the brine rubbing that will happen daily at first, then weekly.
We shall see.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »
Yes I was wondering that.  If you are going to try some out, let us know what you find.

Megan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
What if one uses those tattoing kits for livestock, but dedicated only for food, Just press the tattoo in an rub with food grade ink, that would stand up to rubbing.  But never tried it, so I'm not sure about effectiveness. 
Megan

Groves

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »
Any word on those edible pens?