Author Topic: Muslin Cloth Certification - For Selling Bandage Wrapped Cheddar  (Read 1982 times)

Offline JMB

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
I need to find a source for muslin for my bandaged cheddars.  Presently I am using unbleached muslin cloth from WalMart at about $1.50-$2.00 per sq yard.  Cheesecloth from a cheese supply house is running about $12.00/sq yard with 60 or 90 threads/sq yard which is too open for my purposes.   I would also have to use double thickness of the expensive cheesecloth to duplicate muslin.  Wow talk about a price increase!  :o Now that this cheese is going for public sale I need to have several different certificates and spec sheets to comply with state food safety laws.  Does anyone know of a food safe compliant source that doesn't charge 7-8 times more than Wally?
Thanks, Jen   
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 199
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
Re: Muslin Cloth Certification - For Selling Bandage Wrapped Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
What specs does WI require? I mean, c'mon, it's just bleached fabric. Maybe there's an easy way to get it tested and certified? Who does the certifying?

http://www.raglady.com/detail_CC90__66__cheesecloth_cotton_washable_white_bleached.html

is one of the cheapest sources I know of. You can also import directly from Egypt in bulk rolls to get specific thread counts in cotton or linen.

[edit] Also, call Nelson Jameson. I know they have precut and bulk liners out of plastic and cotton.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:00:34 PM by linuxboy »
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline JMB

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »
I totally agree-not like a person would eat the wrap and all --- BUT there is minimal understanding about artisan where I am at present time and I am stuck with that reality.   :(
Thanks for the help, I have contacted Nelson Jameson.  Waiting to hear from Dairy Connection and checking on WI regs.
J
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change

Offline Acelim

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »
I recently bought my Cheesecloth from the Walmart through online. I bought it in a less price than I was expecting. They already shipped it and I can get it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:23:50 AM by Acelim »
online Walmart