Author Topic: Parmesan recipe, few questions, feedback appreciated.  (Read 12981 times)

BigCheese

Parmesan recipe, few questions, feedback appreciated.
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »
I want to get into Parmesan on Monday, so I looked all around the forum and did not find any recipe that people really seemed to like, partly because a number of them are aging and yet to be tasted. I found I had good results making my own Gouda recipe, so I want to go that route here as well. I am wondering mainly about quantity of LH100 and TA61 and when to cut curds (see specific question below). Thanks in advance!!

So here is what I am thinking:
8 gal full raw Jersey milk (refrigerated overnight and skimmed with a measuring cup, leaving behind some cream)
No lipase as I am vegetarian (is there anything else I can use to help here?)
TA61 (is 3/4t good?)
LH100 (3/4 t again?)
2/3 rennet tablet (last time I reached floc in 15 min with this amount, so I thought that was good)

Test PH
Heat milk to 90F
sprinkle cultures on top, let sit for a couple minutes
Stir in culture with top to bottom strokes.
Ripen 30 min
Test PH looking for .1 drop
Add rennet diluted in 1/2c water and stir in with top to bottom strokes
Cut 1/4 cubes after floc time X3 (I read Francios say to cut parm right at flocculation, anyone know about that?)
Heal curds 5 min
Slowly heat to 124F, stirring with a whisk to continue cutting curds.
Texture test
Let settl 5 min.
Drain off whey and move curds to warm mold

Press with 10 lbs for a bit, flip, press 15 lbs for a little longer, flip press 30 lbs, work up to as much weight as I can balance without risking breaking my sink (again). That is probably only about 100 lbs or so, maybe I can figure something better. Press for 12 hours.

Brine for approx 30hrs (5hrs/lb)

Additional questions: Does anyone have any other PH markers for me? What about at the end of pressing?

BigCheese

Re: Parmesan recipe, few questions, feedback appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
Parmesan day is only one day away :-\, any suggestions on culture amounts?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
I use 1/8 teaspoon TA 61, 1/4 teaspoon LH100, 1/8 teaspoon MM100 for a 7 gallon batch of my Parmigiano Reggiano clone.

I know commercial manufacturers are using microbial lipases but I don't know where they get it.

BigCheese

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Thank you very much Debbie! Maybe I will go with 1/4t each of TA61 and LH100. My problem is none of my books have a recipe using these cultures, so I have no reference point.

Microbial Lipase....must seek out.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
You really need lipase to get the taste and texture found in Italian cheeses like Parmesan. Lipase is NOT a flavoring, it is an enzyme that is really important during proteolysis and long term aging.

Lipases (and over 60 other enzymes) are naturally occuring in milk anyway, so if you are trying to go pure vegan, you will have to eliminate the milk. :o Personally, I would rather use a naturally occuring animal lipase than something that was produced with bacteria. Same holds true for rennet.

Ironically, our modern pasturizarion, homogenization and overprocessing of raw milk destroys all of the good bacteria and denatures most all of the enzymes. So adding lipase is just replacing what was there in the first place. Here's a good read:

The Health Benefits Of Raw Milk

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
I have tried searching the internet and although I find references to manufacturers using it the only supplier I found was for a health food store and it was for a vitimin type lipase? and VERY expensive!

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
I am not vegan, but lipase requires slaughter, as opposed to milk and honey, etc. That being said, store bought milk has slaughter attached to it no doubt, but fortunately, I am milking 100 gallons per week right here from our own cows.

From what you say it would seem I could still get good results seeing as my milk is 100% "un-fooled around with" (as the orange juice commercials used to say)?

I did PArmesan last year and the ones that we cracked open early (6 months) were quite good. Mild, but the texture was pretty right (perhaps a bit moist). I have 3 more aging still, 2 of which I have high hopes for.

Regarding modern milk treatment, it does not seem so ironic to me when you look at the history of milk processing. What I mean is that the milk itself has always been safe, when produced in a natural way (meaning good feed, etc). We made it unsafe, and then made it "safe" again by killing it altogether. Now we add things back into it so it has more value :o. Pasteurization really became a necessity because of poor handling of milk by people trying to maximize profits. Homogenization is useless no matter what way you look at it. Don't get me started.... :-X

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »

No lipase as I am vegetarian (is there anything else I can use to help here?)

She He didn't say vegan she he said vegetarian. Most people are very clear on that point.

Hon this is the recipe I have been using for several years now (with some of my notes of course for clearity) and it works great for me.

Ingredients:
7 gallon of raw milk skimmed (I just pour off what I can)
1/8 teaspoon TA61
1/4 teaspoon LH100
1/8 teaspoon MM100
1/2 teaspoon Kid Lipase
rennet

Procedure:
Milk is heat to 76°C (167°F) and cooled rapidly to 36 °C  (97°F).

(The acidification is obtained adding latte to a natural sieroinnesto, characterized from microorganisms of the species of L. helveticus, L. bulgaricus and L. lactis). Just means use the following 1/8 TA61, 1/4 LH100 and 1/8 MM100. 1/2 teaspoon Lipases added rehydrated in 1/4 cup distilled water. pH before rennet 6.50.

(The coagulation is obtained using serium of the  of the young goat). Means use kid rennet. Completed the coagulation in 10-15 minuteren (minutes) , the curd comes manually cut before in great slices (first cut in one direction wait 10 minutes then cut in the other), allowed to rest for 10 minuteren and then reduced till the dimension of grains of rice with small wheel and spino for 10 minuteren. A spino is like a huge whisk to cut curds - wayne has one. I use a hug wisk and plunge straight down every few inches to cut into rice size.

A value to be 1/3 is drained and then cut she passes herself to the phase of slow baking arriving to approximately 45 °C (113 °F) for 15 minuteren,(drain 1/3 of the whey then heat to 113F over 10 minues) and then they quickly till approximately 55 °C  (131 °F) for 15 minuteren, knows itself maintaining the mass in constant agitation.(while stiring )

Finished to the heating the curd it must rest, carefullied lay down on the bottom of the boiler till the attainment of the just degree of acidity. pH 6.3-6.4 (Let the curds sit on the bottom until the proper pH is reached)

The extraction happens with shovel and burlaps, preparing large fagotti that they remain to sgrondare till the completion of the acidification. Always enclosed inside of burlaps, the curd comes inserted in fascere of wood and compressed with the aid of a disc of wood and a weight. (scoup the curds into a cheesecloth lines mold)

pH of the curd before brining: 5.1

The clearing of the serum continues slowly for approximately 24 hours and during this period of time the fascera comes progressively compressed, reducing of the diameter with an appropriate system to rope and the cheese comes many times over rivoltato. Press the the curds for 24 hours, flip reset the cloth and press for another 24 hours - we use formed molds so we don't have to tighten ropesto shrink the diameter)

After approximately 48 hours it begins the long phase of salt out in pickling brine to the temperature of approximately 15 °C  (59 °F) than hard approximately a month and door the cheese to a content of 1.5% and 2% of knows them. (I brine wet based on weight not a month)

The hard stagionatura from 9 to 24 months in conditioned premises to 15-18 °C  (59 to 65°F) with temperatures opportunely modulated in first is/seven months. The cheese remains supported on shelves in wood and during the stagionatura it comes subordinate to rivoltamenti, spazzolature, scorings and oliature of the crust. (age at temperature above for 7 months on wood shelves, they stamp the cheese with numbers and such, oil the rind to prevent spliting and over drying. I vac pack after a month)

"4 – 6 months
12 -15°C (54 to 59°F)
70-80% RH"

21 psi for 1 hour
58 PI for 24 hours

edited to add clarity - sorry my grandparents spoke this way I don't even notice it - hope this helps!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:30:50 AM by DeejayDebi »

BigCheese

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »
Thanks Debi,

By the way, "she" is a "he".

If I can successfully decipher that recipe I might just go with it...

does that say 21 PSI?!, and then 58!!??

I'd be looking at well over 1000lbs for my 8" mold. That's not gonna happen.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »
Opps sorry I always do that!  I beleive the PSI rating came from here someplace I will remove that. I use a  2 gallons of water then 4 gallons of water in a warm sink it works for me. Everything you need to know is in english ignore everything else. I will try to edit it some. It's a very easy recipe that works pefectly.

BigCheese

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »
Thats a relief! Thanks for your time and help.

One other question since I know you have the 8" St. Paulin Mold, do you think I can fit 8 gallons of curds in it? Perhaps if I fill it, press down for a few minutes, and then add the rest? I would like to have the biggest Parm I can make.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:10:04 AM »
I do 7 gallons in it but I have to squeeze the curds and bounce a gallon of whey off it to pack it down a few times to get it in there. You could probably get it in if you are tall enough to pack it down (another disadantage of being a runt - no sink leverage). That mold is perfect for parmesan.

I added comment to the recipe above to make it more clear.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:31:27 AM by DeejayDebi »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:17:26 AM »
Nitai - Raw milk will contain some lipase. However, the cows in Italy are unique breeds, have a very different diet and probably produce more natural lipase. I do not believe that you will achieve a true Parmesan (or Italian) flavor without adding lipase. Give it a shot and let us know a year from now.

Deb - Parmesan is a thermophilic cheese but you are adding MM100, a mesophilic bacteria mix. When you heat to 113F and then to 131F you usually just kill off most mesophiles. But there's more to the story... 8)

Dairy Connection (and others) recommend a 20/80% blend of TA61 & LH100 for Italian type cheeses and a 50/50% blend for Alpines. Why? Well the TA61 is a monoculture with just S. thermophilus. It is a fast acid producer, but is not capable of complete lactose breakdown. So, you would never use TA61 by itself. The LH100, used as an adjunct culture to complete the lactose breakdown, contains L. lactis ssp. lactis, a mesophile (also found in MM100) that can withstand higher temperatures in the presence of S. thermophilus. By itself, or in a mesophilic mix, L. lactis typically starts dying off at 104F. However, when L. lactis (with S. thermophilus) is slowly exposed to higher temperatures, a plasmid carrying a unique heat shock gene from the thermophile S. thermophilus is cloned into L. lactis. So even at 130F, the majority will survive. (Lactococcus was once classified as a Streptococcus so they are very similar). Note - this does NOT happen with L. cremoris.

So, the LH100 already contains what you need, and the MM100 is redundant.

You don't find this stuff in the simple "recipes".

Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis also produces Nisin, an antibiotic-like substance, called a bacteriocin. It is a natural antimicrobial agent with activity against a wide variety of gram positive bacteria, including food-borne pathogens such as Listeria, Staphylococcus and Clostridium. Nisin is a natural preservative that cannot be synthesized chemically. Fascinating bacteria.

This is the most important bacteria in the entire dairy industry. In fact Wisconsin has named Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis the official “State Microbe”.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:14:23 AM by Sailor Con Queso »

BigCheese

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:37 AM »
Great info Sailor, thanks. State microbes, who knew?

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
Hmmm... Goats milk has lotf of lipase in it. I would say you can use Shermanii (easy to find plant based) for the breakdown of lipids, but this will give you a sweet nutty flavor and produce large eyes... a-la swiss cheese. Care to make a Swiss Parmesan? That's too bad really because I think that without lipase the Parmesan will end up very flat and not sharp. Luckily you have raw milk so it will make up for some of it. Good luck!