Author Topic: Peck O' Pepper Jack  (Read 4275 times)

scubagirlwonder

Peck O' Pepper Jack
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »
Hi all!
I was just so excited at how well my latest pepper jack came out that I felt the need to share! My husband named this the Peck O' Pepper Jack because I used 3 types of chiles! (We like things spicy!) This cheese has Jalapeno, Fresno and Habanero peppers, and I can't wait to see how it tastes.....in a few months.....ugh!
~Cheers!

Brie

Re: Peck O' Pepper Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »
I'm certain you will be well-rewarded! I have made pepper-jack to many rave reviews--did you use fresh or dried chiles? I used canned chipotles, drained and dried and it was awesome!  This cheese is excellent with a cocoa rind. I mixed Vahlrona chocolate with olive oil and brushed for two weeks, then dried and aged.
Yours is absolutely beautiful!

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:05:29 AM »
wow that looks nice!

I would be a little concerned if you used fresh chilies. Like fresh herbs, there is risk of them starting to rot inside... I believe every recipe I have read calls for dried chilies. I made a sage cheddar last year with fresh sage, the sage went bad and the cheese was awful, although some people thought it was like a mild blue cheee taste. I hope everything goes well for yours, but fair warning!

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:11:10 AM »
OOOOH, I might have to try a cocoa rind, I haven't done that one yet! Thanks for the suggestion Brie! The peppers were fresh, chopped fine and boiled in just enough water to cover them for about 10 minutes. I blended them into the curds right after placing them in the cheesecloth and before molding. Mmmmm it looks so good!

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
wow that looks nice!

I would be a little concerned if you used fresh chilies. Like fresh herbs, there is risk of them starting to rot inside... I believe every recipe I have read calls for dried chilies. I made a sage cheddar last year with fresh sage, the sage went bad and the cheese was awful, although some people thought it was like a mild blue cheee taste. I hope everything goes well for yours, but fair warning!

You've got me worried now...I hope this comes out ok...all of my recipes call for reconstituted dried chiles, so I figured if they're reconstituted anyway, how would fresh be different? (Especially since they're boiled for so long) But it sounds like I might have been mistaken...

BigCheese

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »
Well hold off on worrying until someone more experienced chimes in.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
Boiled peppers are OK, kills everything off. Scubagirl, Kelly Estrella in Montesano makes a very similar cheese. :)

Alex

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »
Well hold off on worrying until someone more experienced chimes in.

I make the Pepper Jack with fresh chillies, no problems so far. After two months of ageing, the chillies were as fresh as when the cheese was made, but not hot at all.
a couple of months I made a Gouda with dried chilly flakes.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
I find for a fresh cheese - fresh chilieis are okay but for an aged cheese you really neeed to use dehydrated chilies. If they are really fresh they will hold up okay for several weeks in the cheese but not 6 months or more. Pickled chilies will hold up much longer.

BigCheese

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
Boiled peppers are OK, kills everything off. Scubagirl, Kelly Estrella in Montesano makes a very similar cheese. :)

So it would be ok to follow a similar procedure as with, say, a caraway cheese? Boil in small amount of water for 10 minutes or so, add water to milk, add pepper pieces to curds before pressing?

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Yes, in terms of killing off bacteria and molds and yeasts that are on the surface. But when you use any fresh ingredient that has water, in an aged cheese, it may not hold up well because as it sits there and as enzymes break it down, it may start to seep liquid out. Then you get liquid pockets and sometimes offtastes in the cheese. This is the case for anything that has liquid in it.. berries, peppers, bits of citrus, etc.

My standard method is what I posted when Sailor and I were discussing additives to blues. I will bomb the fruit with a light metabisulphite solution, let that soak, rinse thoroughly because I don't want sulfite defects in the cheese, then do an additional soak in citric acid, then I dehydrate just enough to take out some of the moisture. Not like raisins, but the outer skin needs to be a little wrinkled. Then I use those as is. The liquid from the cheese hydrates the skins back over time and the results are perfect - fresh flavor preserved, texture and color preserved. It is a little involved, however. Sometimes when it's harvest time, I will dehydrate more to remove more moisture, and then vacuum seal for later use and store at room temp. Never had an issue using those, either.

BigCheese

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
Sounds good, assuming one knows what a metabisulphite solution is  ???

I think I might just go the dehydrated route, at least until our blueberries start coming and I can do a blueberry stilton.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Oh, it's just Kmeta. Potassium metabisulphite; kills everything. You can get it at any winemaking store. If you're ever in Santa Rosa, there's a winemaking store there. They sell tablets of it or in powder form for something like $5/lb for smaller quantities. You only need a little bit, a tablespoon per gallon or so.  I use it to prep fruit for dehydrating and in winemaking.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
There are several good suppliers for dehydrated veggies online for a good price too.

BigCheese

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
intriguing! We dry large amounts of tomatoes in our greenhouse, sometimes we get a mold problem and often have them turn black (not with mold, just discoloration). This would help rectify these problems I suppose. Are there any downsides? I always see dried fruit in natural food stores marked "unsulphered" and assumed it was better.

I go to Santa Rosa too often! Do they sell this at Beverage people, or somewhere else?