Author Topic: Air Drying Time vs Cheese Size & Surface Mold Problem  (Read 2291 times)

Minamyna

Air Drying Time vs Cheese Size & Surface Mold Problem
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:18:23 AM »
I have a gouda that I have been trying to "dry" for 3 weeks and everyday I check it and it have a lot of molds of all different colors(green,black, pink, neon-y yellow). I have washed it in apple cider vinegar water and salt water, no luck. Finally today I got kind of frustrated and scraped the mold off with a knife and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge. I have been keeping it in a tupperware with loose aluminum foil at about 58- 60 degrees in our basement pantry. What is up will all the mold? I am worried about the rind as well how will it develop a rind if I wash it every day?

Since its my first hard cheese I couldn't resist trying a tiny bit and my Dad says it tastes too acidy? I think it tastes very buttery, but there is some funny taste that I can't pin down.... I bought some gouda today at the store and maybe I will taste it to see if my gouda tastes similar.... how do you guys wait for it to age.... I am so impatient?!?!?

I waxed and vacuum packed 3 tiny cheddars today (waxed 2 vacuumed one). The rinds on them were pretty tough, the recipe didn't say to oil the rind, should I have? My cheddars don't seem to have the same mold attraction as the gouda does...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Air Drying Time vs Cheese Size & Surface Mold Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
If you are making tiny cheeses it is best to wax or vacuum pack so you don't loose it all to a dry rind. Gouda I vacuum seal within a week or 2 at most.  I oil most of my hard cheeses before bagging just keeps them softer and more pliable if needed for expansion and the don't dry out.

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:38 AM »
OH! I thought I had to let it air dry for 3 weeks?? That was the kicker....I thought sailor said in my other post it had to dry for 3 weeks?? I have relegated it to my fridge for fear of mold.....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
3 weeks? 3 days maybe but I usually only do gouda for a day or 2 then send it to the cave and bag very quickly or it dries quickly and looses it's chewy softness.

Minamyna

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
Arg! Well that's what I wanted to do, but the recipe says specifically 3 weeks why would it say that??!?!
I am using the recipe booklet that came with my cheese kit, from New England Cheesemaking. I have to say while it's a good beginner set, and everything for the most part has worked, I am just not terribly impressed.

Thanks Debbie, I will vacuum it and call it a day. 'Preciate it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
A typo maybe? I make weird typos all the time! pound for tablespoons ... Maybe he meant in the fridge for 3 weeks before vac packing. I normally keep mosy ceese 3 to 4 weeks in the cave before vac packing but your gouda is a different beasty. If the rind is dry and hard you better do it soon before it cracks and get it in the cave!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
3 weeks is standard for a big wheel.  We do about 3 weeks here on a 20# wheel and then paint it.  For small wheel at home, after trying all the mthods over the years, I'd probably dry ut really well then vacuum seal.  It's your best bet for a good, clean rind.  Dipping in potassium sorbate won't hurt either.

Minamyna

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
OK thanks. Good to know.
Is there a formula or chart for size of cheese versus drying before aging?

Is just getting the cheese dry to the touch on the outside going to work for most cheese?

I saw someone using the weigh of the cheese before and after to calculate how much the cheese has dried out.. Is this a good method?

vogironface

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
I used to have troubles with gouda as well.  Debi and others helped me work them out.  I now dry them in my cave until the rind is good and dry.  This takes about 2-3 days.  I then vacuum bag the cheese.  If you do not get the curds cooked properly by raising the temp to quickly then the cheese will retain water and sour in the bag.  Bagging also helps with your mold problem.