Author Topic: My First Raw milk Tomme - Help?  (Read 16470 times)

linuxboy

Re: My First Raw milk Tomme - Help?
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
OFR9 has a more complex blend of yeasts,
Focusing on wrong difference. Not yeast, but bacteria. ORF is more proteolytic, has b casei. It's funkier.

You can't do something that funky on a bloomy rind. Just would not work, you'd wind up with a smear rind. The succession is rather similar, ratios and variants are not.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
OFR9 has a more complex blend of yeasts,
Focusing on wrong difference. Not yeast, but bacteria. ORF is more proteolytic, has b casei. It's funkier.

You can't do something that funky on a bloomy rind. Just would not work, you'd wind up with a smear rind. The succession is rather similar, ratios and variants are not.

Pav, I don't know enough yet about casei, just see it throughout the lit. on surface flora for smeared rinds.  Good to know of its proteolytic nature - thanks.

I was just going off of Francois's comment,

OFR9 is best for washed rind cheeses since it has a complex yeast... 

Since there are more yeast spp. in the OFR, I was wondering specifically what they had to do with it, relative to the geo and DH in PLA, how they specifically aided a smear (basically, why the PLA wouldn't presumably do as good a job, with only DH and geo, whether we're calling geo a mould or yeast).

Man, I'd love to obtain OFR9.  Shame it's not available in the States, it seems.
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
OFR9 is best for washed rind cheeses since it has a complex yeast... 
Since there are more yeast spp. in the OFR, I was wondering specifically what they had to do with it, relative to the geo and DH in PLA, how they specifically aided a smear (basically, why the PLA wouldn't presumably do as good a job, with only DH and geo, whether we're calling geo a mould or yeast).
candida is much faster than geo. You're talking about rapid lactate consumption. It will deacidify to 5.8 in a day most of the time. Then geo and yeast are to form a complex biofilm and interaction among the members, so that both the linens and the casei  can thrive. It's an engineered system that if left alone achieves completely different ends than PLA even though you tweak quantities and variants and types just a little.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
Cool.  Thanks, Pav. :)
- Paul

FRANCOIS

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Right, what he said.  I hadn't ever really given it much thought actually.  It was always just a given that PLA and OFR9 worked in those ways.  If you use OFR9 on white mould, which I have, it ends up being very different than on a washed rind and not nearly as nice as the PLA.  So, I was just speaking from experience.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks, Francois.  I see the dynamics, now.  And can I fly to NZ to pick up some OFR from you? 8)
- Paul