Author Topic: Mark's Reblochon - 060510  (Read 10696 times)

Brie

Re: Mark's Reblochon - 060510
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »
Looks great, Mark-- have you tasted yet? This cheese is awesome, especially made with raw milk (and a tad of cream, if available).  Looks like a Reblochon summer for the team!

iratherfly

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 04:19:56 AM »
I don't really know that Reblochons call for any wrapping at all. This is not a Camembert; it should age in the cave under humid conditions.

As for wrapping paper, I have to say that the stuff I got (from Steve too) caused my Camemberts to stop breathing and the mold have receded. I never understood this paper; It's suppose to breath from perforations on the plastic but in reality everything between those perforations suffocated my rind.  I then tried this paper: http://www.formaticum.com/shop/home.php - and what do you know, the mold stayed alive and stable while the cheese matured beautifully. Don't know if I am doing something wrong with the commercial paper but this does the trick. Others here use aluminum foil too. But the Reblochons... I think you may kill them with this.

Debi?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
I haven't bought any fancy papers yet I read somewhere it was just papper one one side and waxed on the other so I used freezer paper and poked  some pin holes in it to breath. So far they look okay although they are forming to all the wrinkles in the paper.

iratherfly

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »
Seems like we are having this single discussion in two threads at once...
What is freezer paper? Parchment paper?

MarkShelton

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 06:29:39 AM »
No. It is similar, but different. It's a kind of heavy-weight paper that has a waxy, plastic-y side to it. I think butcher's paper would be the same thing. You can find it at the supermarket by the waxed paper/stretchwrap/aluminum foil, but it's generally much wider than those (as far as I have seen). It specifically says freezer paper on it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 02:25:59 AM »
Yoav -

It's usually white paper that is waxed on the side that goes toward the meat so it doesn't bleed through. So far the reblochons seem to like it with just a few tiny pin pricks in it.

iratherfly

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 07:29:23 AM »
I suppose I'll wrap mine. Don't know if this will make a difference at day 47... When did you wrap yours?

MarkShelton

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:46 AM »
Opened one of my reblochons today. I know it was a little early in regards to the 60 days, but it was starting to dry out in the fridge, even wrapped up! It was pretty good. The rind was a little bitter, but the paste was really good. It definitely smells like sweaty feet, but it doesn't affect the flavor.

The paste was filled with little holes, though, which kind of makes me nervous. I didn't use any cultures that produce eyes (this batch was without yeast) so I was a little surprised to see them. I ate about a quarter of it with my girlfriend though and no ill effects yet.

I think I'll get some of the SR3 next time. It is a less aromatic culture, and the orange color will come on brighter and sooner than the LR.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 02:25:07 AM »
I think it should have some holes. Can we see a pic?
I cut mine yesterday at much less than 60 days.
Pam

MarkShelton

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
I retract my previous statement about bitterness. I think the cheese just needed a few hours on the cheese board. Most of the "feet-i-ness" dissipated, and I was left with an amazing cheese.

I actually forgot I left it on the counter (under a glass lid) while I went to the store and ran some errands. When I came home, it was oozing out of the rind, and slightly warm. I sliced off a big hunk of the ooze and it was sweet and delicious.

There's actually not much of it left, and it is a little deflated from me "harvesting" the runny center as it flowed out. I'll definitely take a picture of the next one after the first serving.

iratherfly

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
This sounds great. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong with my Reblochons (check out my other thread... they turned into Tommes). I seem to fail too often at making any type of aged cheese runny. They all turn semi-firm and yellow. Something must be off with my milk acidity or my aging temp. What was your aging temp for this one? Was it moist?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »
I have been using the SR3 and it's very yellow for me. Maybe the raw milk? Looks like I put annatto in when I haven't.

iratherfly

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 03:40:49 AM »
Yea, I used SR3 on my Reblochons too, the paste was even yellower than the rind

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 04:52:47 AM »
Well I think you saw mine almost needed sunglasses. Although it did fade after cooking it up with potatoes it does look odd sitting on the counter warming up.