Author Topic: Saint André/Andre Triple Cream Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 12742 times)

zameluzza

Saint André/Andre Triple Cream Cheese Making Recipe
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »
I was wondering if it's possible to make camembert with just whole cream?

I have lots of whole fresh cream and I would like to make something else then butter or creamcheese *LOL*
any recipes out there?

thanks

linuxboy

Re: Saint André/Andre Triple Cream Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »
You could make a triple creme Saint Andre. You can't make a cam with that high of a fat percentage, it won't run. The fat makes it too stable.

zameluzza

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
You could make a triple creme Saint Andre. You can't make a cam with that high of a fat percentage, it won't run. The fat makes it too stable.
linuxboy thanks :) talk to me about triple cream Saint Andre, never heard about it :)

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »
It's a triple cream cheese, meaning final fat % is 75% or higher. You make it like a cam or brie, but it comes out taller because it has all the extra solids. You need to salt it more because of the higher fat. And you spray it with a p candidum mold spray to get the white rind going. But because it's so high in fat, it turns out not so runny. It's more like spreadable butter but with a mushroomy brie-like taste from the mold. Good in small quantities with a baguette. I don't make it because I sit on my butt most of the day and the last thing I need is a triple creme cheese :P

zameluzza

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
It's a triple cream cheese, meaning final fat % is 75% or higher. You make it like a cam or brie, but it comes out taller because it has all the extra solids. You need to salt it more because of the higher fat. And you spray it with a p candidum mold spray to get the white rind going. But because it's so high in fat, it turns out not so runny. It's more like spreadable butter but with a mushroomy brie-like taste from the mold. Good in small quantities with a baguette. I don't make it because I sit on my butt most of the day and the last thing I need is a triple creme cheese :P
do I spray the mold on,or can I just ad it like camembert?
I may just try that :)

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »
Either way, it's just personal preference. It makes for a great special treat. Lovely with some fresh fruit or a baguette :)

zameluzza

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »

george

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »

Sorry for the resurrection, but this is all I can find in terms of recipe for Saint Andre, which I'm starting to love (in small quantities!).  I know I can figure the amounts of milk/cream, but other questions (based on a 2-gallon batch):

~ How much extra salt?  Currently using 1/2 tsp per side of kosher salt on cams.

~ Do I need to modify culture, PC and/or rennet amounts because of the higher fat content?  Currently 1/4 tsp MM100 for a 2-gallon batch of 4 cams, 1/16 tsp PC directly into the milk, and rennet roughly 1/32 tsp (slightly more or less based on current floc times).

~ Do I still use 4 hoops for the 2-gallon batch, or fewer?  (Thinking of the immense tall-ness - in comparison - of the St. Andre I've been buying versus a normal cam, and I'm unfamiliar so far with how much less it will or won't settle during draining related to the regular cams.)

~ Will there be a difference in aging time?  Much faster b/c of the cream, or slower because of the thickness?  What range should I expect (since it doesn't seem that I can use the famous "poke the eyeball" test on it)?

Thankee!!

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
~ How much extra salt?  Currently using 1/2 tsp per side of kosher salt on cams.
It's my personal preference. You'd be fine with 1/2 tsp. I tend to go closer to 5/8. Just another 10-20%, not much more.

~ Do I need to modify culture, PC and/or rennet amounts because of the higher fat content?
Depends on your protein structure in the milk. Generally, if protein is same but fat is more, I use a bit more rennet, again not more more, maybe another 10-20% to help it coagulate. I also use CaCl2. Culture and PC is same.

Do I still use 4 hoops for the 2-gallon batch, or fewer? 
Same. But your curd will let go of moisture much slower. Keep this in mind, you will wind up with a LOT of curd.

Will there be a difference in aging time?
About same. But st andre is stable longer.

Much faster b/c of the cream, or slower because of the thickness?
Cream slows down aging. In cam, it is the protein that causes runniness. So it is slower because of the cream, and also slower because of the thickness. age 60 days.

george

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:35:33 AM »
Awesome.  Thank you, LB, you're my hero - again.   :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
In case other's don't know this cheese, took a picture in Vancouver BC Canada members wholesale store Costco but didn't buy. Price of CDN5.29 is ~USD5.60.

stablefood

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
So... for the St. Andre recipe, just make a Brie/Camenbert recipe with the adjustments mentioned?

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
Man... thats dirt cheap. 
We pay almost 3 times as much for local crap.