Author Topic: To "bulk" or not to "bulk"  (Read 2041 times)

Chalou

To "bulk" or not to "bulk"
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
Hello cheese lovers, I really like the forum, you're all so passionate!

Maybe there is something I don't understand... I need your comments on a project I have.

2 years ago, I decided to go frugal/self-sustainable kind of life. "Drop out" from the professional world, I've wanted to start my own business. I'm pretty good with finding great deals and always wondering why some products are so expensive. For instance, "Fleischman" yeast at the grocery store is so expensive compared to other brand available at some specialized stores that it is almost frustrating.

So, that's what I want to do, I want to host a website (I'm a programmer), giving information about how to make bread, cheese, sprout, garden, livestock, etc... But most of all, I want to be able to sell products at a fair price (frugal life means less money available).

For the cheese part, I've found the same dealers as you all use, like Diary Connection, Glengarry, Leeners, etc.

When it comes to decide on the cultures I want to sell, I'm torn between the price on individual package and bigger "bulk" package.

For instance, Glengarry's propionic bacteria are 15.95/25g or 30.85/100g. Let's say I slit the 100g into 10g packages.

1) It will cost 3.85/10g. That’s huge saving! And I don't mean just for me, but for my customers too. Because that’s the point, I don't want a bigger margin, I want to sell cheaper so everyone can try some cheese making at home (even smaller batch).

2) There is no way I can use a 25g package anyway (good for 2500 liters of milk). Even if I'm very very motivated :)

3) If I have a 25g pack and I store it in my freezer, it will be less fresh after 2 years than if I've bought 2 smaller packs.

My questions are:

1) There is a problem about buying bulk and selling in smaller pack?
2) Would you buy a re-packed culture?
3) Would you trust a re-packed culture?

I know that the fact that the package is opened; that you don't know when it was opened can be a problem.

4) But what is the difference between the pack that I've opened and the one opened in your freezer?
5) And what is the difference between the fact that you would split the package with, let's say, your sister, but not with another customer?

I think that the main problem is trust in the quality control.

But, would you buy a re-packed culture if it was much cheaper?

Don't be afraid to tell me if I'm sooooo wrong with my idea :) but I need to know.

Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: To "bulk" or not to "bulk"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »
1) There is a problem about buying bulk and selling in smaller pack?
No, in theory, this is doable. In practice, it's doable if you know what you're doing.
2) Would you buy a re-packed culture?

Personally, no. But I both sell repackaged cultures and use enough that I'm not representative of the general customer.

3) Would you trust a re-packed culture?

Generally, no, even if I were a more normal customer. Perhaps I would trust repackaged bags from Margaret or Dairy Connection, but I don't think either repackages. I know Ricki repackages, and many have used her wares without issues, but I definitely wouldn't trust those products because I don't think anyone on her staff has training in aseptic handling or microbiological lab techniques.
I know that the fact that the package is opened; that you don't know when it was opened can be a problem.

4) But what is the difference between the pack that I've opened and the one opened in your freezer?

It's the handling during repackaging that matters. When you repack, you need to weigh the entire amount, divide by weight, and repack and reseal. That exposure to air is where you get contamination. with freezer storage, you're just opening a small corner and the rest of the culture isn't exposed.

5) And what is the difference between the fact that you would split the package with, let's say, your sister, but not with another customer?

I don't see the difference.

Exactly right, which is why if you want to sell, you should demonstrate to customers who are dubious that you practice proper aseptic handling.

Gina

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »
If I had more experience, actually knew what I was doing, and made lots of cheeses, I probably wouldnt consider it. But, as a beginning cheese-making hobbiest who is very frugal, I'd consider buying repackaged cultures under certain conditions since it's an expensive hobby to start - pots, functioning cheese cave, cultures, lots of milk, etc. Once past a basic meso culture and rennet, there are however a number of things people here mention that I'd like to try without having to spend even more money for something I amy not like - so price (including S/H) is an issue for me.

But..., I would only buy something like this from someone with a very good track-record who has proven he/she knows what they are doing and can cleanly divide items. I guess it's similar to starting selling on ebay - few will buy from people w/o a good history, but everyone has to start somewhere.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:59:52 PM by Gina »

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »

Exactly right, which is why if you want to sell, you should demonstrate to customers who are dubious that you practice proper aseptic handling.
+1

I probably am someone you could sell to and would want to know how you handle the products and why.

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
I live near the Beverage People and they repackage cultures from Glenngarry. I have used a number of them successfully. I know one of the employees is a microbiologist (or something like that) so they probably know the ideal way of handling repackaging. I do not know their practice though. I will say I like getting the unopened bags from the culture makers.

Also I have noticed that it seems like many cultures from a given production batch will stay on the market for quite some time. I say this because I bought culture over 6 months apart and they were from the same production batch.

Overall I would think in this niche market you need a good way to establish yourself. For example, Beverage People had already been selling beer and wine making supplies for years, so cheese fit right in. You'd have to be really good with SEO to just appear on the internet and do well, I would think.

Chalou

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
Thanks for your replies

Overall I would think in this niche market you need a good way to establish yourself. For example, Beverage People had already been selling beer and wine making supplies for years, so cheese fit right in. You'd have to be really good with SEO to just appear on the internet and do well

I don't want to steal share of the market of those established companies. I'm not that ambitious :) That's not the point. I want to reduce cost for people like me that want to try, but don't want to spend too much. You know like a family, a group or a small community: buy big, split and save.

It's the handling during repackaging that matters. When you repack, you need to weigh the entire amount, divide by weight, and repack and reseal. That exposure to air is where you get contamination. with freezer storage, you're just opening a small corner and the rest of the culture isn't exposed.

Yeah, you're right.. because they are bacteria, there's a lot to consider to reduce risk of contamination. We are not talking about apples here. Probably there are some things that can't be done even if the idea seems good at the beginning.