Author Topic: Swiss Style With Eyes - Natural, Vacuum Bag, Wax?  (Read 5248 times)

BethGi

Re: Swiss Style With Eyes - Natural, Vacuum Bag, Wax? - An Update
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »
So I unbagged my Jarlsberg today. It has been about 3 months since I made it. I opened it today and was delighted to see that there were indeed eyes, albeit small ones. Success on that count!

The interior of the bag was moist, and the surface of the cheese a bit slimy. (In the photo, the bottom of the cheese was slimier than the top, so it crumbled away a bit when I cut it.) So since I am re-sealing 3/4 of the cheese for now, I have left it out to air dry at room temp for a few hours before I vacuum seal into new bags. From my reading, it appears that the vacuum could've drawn some moisture out, and/or I sealed before it had dried enough. And from my earlier posts, I recall that I was struggling with moisture early in its development, too...

The flavor is good, but not as good as a true Swiss. So not sure if that is the recipe or my technique. But given that I have only been at this a year, and made only 25 cheeses to date, I am pretty proud of it nonetheless!

Tips/ideas for my next try will be most welcome.

Cheers!