Author Topic: Newbie Mozzarrella & Cheddar Making - Why Do You Wish Luck?  (Read 1946 times)

redbecca

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for several weeks and have learned so much.  I have noticed that when a new cheese-maker says they are making Cheddar a lof of you wish them luck.  Is this a particularly  hard cheese for a novice?  The reason I ask is because I had a miserable FAIL on the 30 min mozz (not once but TWICE - feels like failing at a Sesame Street sing along) but decided to go ahead and do Cheddar since I didn't notice you guys saying how brave the newbs are for trying.  My first effort wasn't too bad, the curds tasted very good but it cracked.  I didn't have a good press and I let it get too dry. 

Second try, 4 gallons of milk.  Started at around 5pm.  Ha ha, little did I know just how long it would take.  Lucky for me I work third shift and am usually awake until 0500 anyway.  Between this one and my first Chaddar (fail) my future hubby built me a press and I bought a Tomme mold.  This one came out so perfect looking-except-for the high ridge after pressing that I had to trim and eat YUM YUM - , so decadent smelling.... AHHHH.  Life was so good I had to do it again.  Right?  Then I really start paying attention to some of the comments from the regulars on here.  People who say newbs are brave for trying a Chaddar....

Now I'm scared.  I have 3 wheels of Cheddar, approx 4 lbs each.  Waxed.  And one 4lb Parmesan that I brined and isn't waxed.  They are sitting in the cave that for the life of me I can't get humidity any where close to where it needs to be.  I've been making a 4 pounder/week until NOW when I finally measured my humidity.  Tonight, I tried the dang 30 min mozz again and must say I'm less than thrilled.

Anyway, I guess I would like to know why the regs imply Cheddar is so challenging.  If I can't even do a beginner Mozz do you guys think my Cheddars will be fails too?

By the way, if I had ever paid attention to all the comments that refer to Cheddar being difficult, I would have tried something else for my first "get perfect" variety.  *sigh*  Thanks all....

linuxboy

Re: Newbie Mozzarrella & Cheddar Making - Why Do You Wish Luck?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:42:26 AM »
Hi redbecca,

If you want to try making some fast beginner cheeses, try ricotta salata, queso blanco, or a basic lactic cheese. If you want to go from there, try my tomme recipe, or a basic alpine thermophilic cheese.

The reason cheddar is tough is because its acidity targets are very narrow to produce a proper cheese, and without a pH meter, it's hard to get the cheese right, especially with nobody showing you how it should be done.

It's hard to say how your cheddars will be. Maybe they'll be terrific. It's just in general because cheddars are so picky about pH, they're harder to get right.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »
In addition to what Linux said I would add that it also requires additional equipment like heavier pressing apparatus, the ph meter, and then you have the extra steps of  of cheddaring and milling. I started with a cheddar myself so it's not completely impossible, but it is pretty much luck if you hit a homerun without the ph meter and/or some experience. But if you do get it you will be a very happy cheesemaker. Good luc...oops ... Happy cheesemaking.  ;D

redbecca

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:54:38 AM »
Sure wish I'd have known about Ph before I got started and I sure wish more recipes in the books I have had Ph guidelines.  I bought a meter but after I'd made my first 4 Cheddars. 

Seriously though, if I'd have known how many of you consider this a challenge I'd have chosen something else to begin my obsession with.  If I have success it will be due to the tips I picked up from all my lurking on here.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:46:15 AM »
Red,

Mozz is not a beginner cheese no matter what the 30 minute mozz folks say. Many, many people fail with the quicky Mozz and get frustrated. The pH on Mozz is very important. If it isn't 5.0-5.2 it won't stretch. If it's too low it becomes brittle. Do you need a pH meter? No, but it helps. Otherwise you make, wait, test stretch, wait, test stretch, wait.....

A cultured Mozz has much better flavor and is more forgiving to make.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
Cultured mozz is very forgiving - my last batch ended up being made over a five day period because life just kept intruding on my cheese-making time.  And it was the very best mozz I've ever made - best flavor and it stretched nearly three feet - double the amount of stretch I've ever gotten on the second day.

I started out making cheddar, too, because all I did was read books and no one told me how tough it is to get just right.  I've only made a couple of cheddars that I liked and was unable to replicate them.  For the past year, I've been making Colby instead and getting the results I like, so I'm sticking with it for now.  Next winter when I have more milk I may delve into cheddar again.

And I would say the big reason people are not recommended to start with cheddar is because of the equipment required to press, etc.  I go against the rules and make most of what I need from something else anyway, so was able to get around that issue.

vogironface

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
I second Sailor.  I have developed a special place in my heart for 30 minute mozzarella.  Right next to drug dealers and kidnappers.  I have learned to really dislike that cheese.  The thermo variety however has never failed and makes a far better cheese.  It is worth the extra time. 

As for a beginner cheese try Gouda if you are looking for one other than what linux boy mentioned.  It is a bit temperamental in the cooking process but so long as you heat it slow you should do OK.  I like this cheese because you can begin eating it after about a week when the salt equalizes and it just gets better with age.  It is best if you wait at least 60 days.  I make 2 wheels, one for me and the kids to eat now and one for the cave.

As to humidity I have also had problems with it to low.  I have found that if I put my wheel in a plastic bowl, place a paper towel over it so it does not touch the cheese, and use a rubber band to keep it on and with no gaps then my humidity in the "chamber" holds pretty good.