Author Topic: I think it worked! Does this blue look right to you?  (Read 1744 times)

vogironface

I think it worked! Does this blue look right to you?
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:27:46 PM »
This is my second attempt at a blue.  My first was less that impressive. :)  I was going to give up on this one as well but decided to press on.  Having never actually seen the rind of a blue cheese I am not sure if this one is right.  So here are my two questions for the blue experts out there.

1)  My rind quickly went from blue to white mold to dead brownish.  I expected it to stay blue longer and die out as blue, not as white.  Does it look normal to you?

2)  In the voids in the curd where the blue veining is there are pockets of whitish furry mold almost camembert like.  I suspect they were carried there in the piercing.  Is this also normal and is it safe to eat?  I hope so since I ate 1/4 last night and am still here to tell of it.  In the photo the pocket in the bottom right of the cheese on the left has that white mold.

FarmerJd

Re: I think it worked! Does this blue look right to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
Far from an expert here, but it looks alot like mine did but with more veining. My rind was very similar too. How did it taste to you?

vogironface

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
Farmer,
It taster good.  The blue is VERY strong.  There are some big pockets with so much blue I can taste the mold, almost dry and  slightly powdery in texture.  I suspect that is the spores.  I am not sure if I like it or not but I bet if I keep eating it it will grow on me.  :)  A fitting term for moldy cheese don't you think?

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I think it looks gorgeous! My rind undergoes that transition, too.

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
Looks really good. The white mold is normal in the bigger holes.

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »
it will grow on me

[/size]LOL I haven't been sick since I started eating mine. is this a substitute for antibiotics?