Author Topic: My first traditional cheddar  (Read 2122 times)

Cheesetart

My first traditional cheddar
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »
This was an interesting experience!  I decided to do a combination of recipe and pressing factors based on what I have been reading and testing the last few months.  While this cheese is not as spectacular as some of the ones that get posted, for me it is great!  The recipe was moving along quite well -- the cheddaring went well -- and the curds were super squeaky. I used Sailor's method of pressing in the pot -- and at the end -- before moving the curds for their overnight press -- I started doubting how these firm curds would ever come together.  After pressing overnight, these pictures tell the story.  Nicely knit curds.  Still fighting with getting my cheesecloth to smooth out -- but all in all, I am pleased.
I split the recipe -- one batch of curds has a garlic chive mixture added -- something a bit different.  We'll see how it all turns out! 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My first traditional cheddar
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:29 AM »
Looks great Dee! Don't know why you'd think it wasn't spectacular - it a beautiful cheese! Good job! I like the garlic and chive idea. I haven't tried garlic yet and I'm Italian!

Gina

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:10 AM »
Very nice looking cheeses. How much milk did you use?

I'm going to have try making a cheddar one of these days.

Cheesetart

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
Thanks, Debi -- I got the idea from a tasting that I did at the local farmers market.  One of the Amish vendors had some samples-- while their cheese tasted more "processed", I was really just looking for ideas on flavor.   Trying to decide how  I want to tackle a horseradish cheddar next!

Gina -- this was a 3 gallon batch.  It was a very workable amount for a first hard cheddar attempt. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
Nice.  :)

I have yet to do a cheddar. Maybe I find the cheddaring process intimidating. You've given me a little push along my cheddar way.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Desert Cheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
Did you ever make the horseradish cheddar?  I have been trying w/out success!  I can't find powdered horseradish and commercial isn't working either.

9mmruger

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
Great looking cheeses Cheesetart!  I live in Amish country as well.  In fact I am getting 3 gals of goats milk on Friday from one of my Amish friends.  Gonna make a Goats Milk Cheddar.  Looking forward to it.  Cheers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
Did you ever make the horseradish cheddar?  I have been trying w/out success!  I can't find powdered horseradish and commercial isn't working either.

This can be tricky and must be done outside or you will definitely regret it but ... take your horseradish roots and clean them thoroughly.  Peel it with a potato peeler if you have big ones knotty ones (but hold it at arms length).

Then OUTSIDE throw it in a blender or food processor and shred it. You can use the ole manual knuckle busters but it will kill your eyes and take your breath away. You want very tiny bits, so the unsuspecting eater doesn't lose his breath when eating your cheese.

Next spread the shredded horseradish thinly on some cheesecloth and lay a piece on top to protect it. Fasten the ends.

Set it outside in the sun for the afternoon and let it dry. You might want to go out every hour or so and give it a shake to get an even drying.

If you have a needlepoint hoop you can lay the layers between that and clamp it shut it works great for drying small bundles of herbs and spices in the sun, or if you have a dehydrator that works well too. Just be careful not to burn it as some dehydrators get very hot.

When all is dry you might want to start with about one tablespoon per pound of cheese as it will be very strong when made from fresh roots. Horseradish is a very underutilized spice IMHO. Once you have a stash of dehydrated horseradish try adding it to things you’ve never tried like soups and stews, breads, nice fresh mayonnaise alone or with a bit of spicy brown mustard (try rubbing that on your next pork roast! Yumm).

Hope this helps!

9mmruger

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
Horseradish is a very underutilized spice IMHO. Once you have a stash of dehydrated horseradish try adding it to things you’ve never tried like soups and stews, breads, nice fresh mayonnaise alone or with a bit of spicy brown mustard (try rubbing that on your next pork roast! Yumm).

Hope this helps!

I love to add it to a bowl of home made ham and bean soup, with just a tablespoon of ketchup.  Then some cornbread and I am in heaven!   ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
Glad to hear it Mr Kim! Most people look at me like  am nuts when I say soups and stews but it really is a nice spice and adds a bit a sweetness as well as bite to most foods.