Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 2138 times)

Captain Caprine

Quick question
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm making my first Swiss type cheese and need a little advice on brine.  The cheese is from 3 gallons of goat milk (actually probably about 2.5 gallons due to a curd transfer incident).  Everything has been textbook to this point.  I have a cheese coming out of the press that weighs about 2.75 lbs and is 6" in dia by 2.5" thick.  Any advice on how long to brine this little fella?  For those of yuo who make Swiss frequently does a density of
Thanks
CC

Captain Caprine

Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
oops, I hit post early.  Its about 0.57oz/cubic inch

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
C.C.
I've always brined my swiss varieties for 12 hours. Even with my 4 and 5 gallon batches this seems to be plenty of time.
One thing that I've found is VERY important is to make your brine out of the whey you drained from the cheese.
This keeps the brine at the same PH as the cheese which stops any excessive drying, cracking or melting of the cheese wheel.
If your wheel comes out of the brine, very "elastic" feeling then you are well on your way to producing a cheese you can be very proud of. This is my favorite cheese to make since it is such a challenge to do correctly.
Good luck with this cheese and be sure to show us some pics once it's out of the press or brine.
It's a temperamental variety but the rewards of getting it right are out of this world.

Dave

Captain Caprine

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
Thanks Dave,
I figured you would be the one with the answer.  The cheese unfortunately came out of the press with a big wad of cheese cloth wedged in the top of the cheese that caused a crack from the start.  Oh well live and learn.  I will have it out of the brine at 9:30 tonight.  As I have flipped it in the brine it feels pretty rubbery.  Ill take a pic and post later.
Thanks again for the advice.
CC