Author Topic: Michael's Gruyere #1.1  (Read 11557 times)

mokumeguy

Re: Michael's Gruyere #1.1
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
Hopefully the wine fridge will just be temporary, until I get my real cave done. I have a commercial 8' x 10'
walk-in fridge that I am trying to get set up before winter. It was a steal, I got it for free from a big filter company who needed a bigger one and gave it to the first person who could come and haul it away. Once that is done I will be set. I am finding it hard to keep a consistent temp or humidity level in the little fridge, because it is out in the cow barn where it can go from 60 to 100 in six hours.

Junglerott

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:36 AM »
Hey Michael,

They look great!! I made a gruyere today that looks identical to yours, so hopefully we are both eating some nice cheese in a year or so. I have a question for you. My probionic sherminii has a label that says to add 1/16t per gallon, but the recipe calls for 1t for two gallons. Did yours have a label with amounts listed? It was cool to hear the little bubbles when I stirred in the rennet.

mokumeguy

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »
Yes, there was that label with the 1/16 tsp per gal. I haven't figured out yet why my recipe calls for so much. I know that I only used 1/4 tsp in my 3 gal swiss and it's ballooning into a ball, so I am not sure you need that much to make Gruyere. It is rather expensive. I think the next time I will use 1/2 tsp and see if I still get barreling after 2 days like I did this time.

Now that I know I was using too much rennet I will probably not let this first on go for the full time.
I might just wait to see if I can get the red rind and open it 30 days after that.

What was your yield on the latest one?

Junglerott

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »
I just took it out of the brine and it weighed in at 2lb 9oz. I used 3/16 of the PSh and it looks a little puffy already. I use 1% milk from Whole Foods and add in heavy cream to make it whole milk as Ricki Carrol suggests. Both are not ultra pasturized. So far it has produced good results.

mokumeguy

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 04:21:03 AM »
Well, that gives me even more confidence to use less PS next time. Now I wonder if the recipe was a typo. Maybe I will try another one this weekend. And that is a great yield you got for 2 gal. I am still working on that part.

Junglerott

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
My yield was from 3 gallons, sorry I should have specified. I checked recipes from Home Cheese Making and Making Artisan Cheese. The emmental, swiss and gruyere recipes all called for a teaspoon of PS. I called the place I bought it from and they told me to go by the package. My Penicillium Candidum also has a label with amounts that are different from the recipes. It is frustrating because you don't find out if you made the right decision for 8 months and until then you keep producing the same recipe not knowing if all your cheese will even be edible. I guess as long as it does not go rancid it is a success at this stage of my journey.

reg

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 12:23:36 PM »
morning guys, been following your conversation here and finding some good info from your experiences, thanks. been doing a lot of studying with regards to Gruyere cheeses lately. there sure are quite a few different styles thats for sure. one article/recipe also adds another culture, helveticus to the mix. not sure what this culture beings to the party

the other info i found interesting is that the Swiss version of Gruyere has few or no holes while the French version has plenty of big holes. the regions of France produce a few different textured Gruyere cheeses, Comte and Beaufort being the two most popular. Comte with its large holes and Beaufort with few very fine eyes or none at all. this is a complicated cheese lol

will be getting back at it soon and going with the PS because i like to see the holes after the cheese is cut

have a good one

reg

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Tea, I just read this post do you have any pics of your baby cow, Shirley?

Tea

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
Yes I do why? 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »
LOL I love animals and would love to see some pics of your cow.

Tea

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
OK I'll see if I can find where I put them.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
Don't go to any bother, I just meant if you already had them digitally on your comp.

Tea

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
Ok here is Shirley.  When she came to us she was an orphan.  Her mother had died and they found her wandering around the paddock.  She she was quite emancipated.

She is probably three times that size now, and still follows the kids around like a puppy dog.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
And you wondered why I wanted to see pictures...she's so cute. And I think you mean emaciated, you said emancipated (which see was because here mother let her go, in a sort of way).

Tea

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »
Yes I probably do mean emaciated,  lol  my bad.

Well the horns have grown and they are nice and sharp, and she thinks that the kids are her buddies, so she is forever butting them and rough housing with them.

We are in the process for fencing in some more area, as she is getting too big to play with the kids.