Author Topic: My Jarlsberg #1 & Jarlsberg #2  (Read 17635 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: My Jarlsberg #1 & Jarlsberg #2
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
Moving too much is overkill, but it isn't going to hurt anything unless the rind gets damaged.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »
But my first simple attempt at jarlsberg has produced pretty good holes!
Agreed. You did good, Beth.

I posted some documents on page one of this thread that steered me down a different cheese road. It treats the Jarlsberg as a Gouda with holes. That's how it was designed. I pulled the pertinent portion of the original document and reworked it to a Word document that I also posted there. The culture demanded in this case is a mesophilic rather than a thermophilic which is what the 200 Cheeses calls for.

I'm thinking my next effort should be a meso (I used Aroma B here) plus a little lactis helvetica. Sailor, you're saying the outgassing made the cheese lose its typical Jarlsberg flavor? If the gas was still captured in the bag it would seem like the flavor esters should have been absorbed. Outside or inside...should be good, no?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 03:38:48 PM »
Jarlsberg is more like a Gruyere not a Gouda. Jarlsberg and Gruyere are both thermo not meso cheeses. Baby Swiss is the only meso Swiss that I am aware of, but I'm sure there are more. Jarlsberg ripens in the cave for a couple of weeks and then is moved to 65-72F room temp for the classic swelling and eye formation. Gruyere on the other hand stays at 50F cave temp the whole time. It never goes thru the swelling phase so the Propionic bacteria are slowed way down. Gruyere does end up with small holes and takes longer to develop full flavor.

Jarlsberg is a washed curd cheese and only cooks to 108F (a bit high for meso bacteria). An Emmental is the classic Swiss that is not washed and cooks to 120F. So, which one is going to be more acidic? Which one will have more Propionic bacteria in the pressed cheese? Which one is more likely to produce more gas and better eye formation? Which one will have a stronger "Swiss" flavor? What is the purpose/effect of cooking the Emmental to a higher temp? >:D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:42 PM »
I believe I'll stick with the direction in which I was headed, making slight adjustments to my course.

Here's part of that extract I referenced earlier:

"In the autumn of 1955, dairy science student Per Sakshaug (later Manager of Jæren Dairy and Headmaster of Jæren Dairy College), under the supervision of Professor Ystgaard, conducted cheesemaking experiments for his Masters Thesis, “Addition of propionibacteria culture to cheese milk”, at the Agricultural University of Norway (32). Interesting results were obtained, and a good-quality cheese was produced using the Research Dairy’s cheese vats. Interest was awakened to further the development of a Gouda with large eyes. From that point on, the development of a Gouda with large eyes resulting from propionibacteria metabolism was led by Professor Ystgaard, and it was this work that eventually led to today’s Jarlsberg cheese. In addition to the effect on eye production, it was also expected that the addition of a pure culture of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. Shermanii would add an interesting taste to the cheese.

As the work progressed, Professor Ystgaard felt it was important to retain the Gouda technology. This meant, for example, that only mixed cultures of so-called mesophilic lactic acid bacteria were used in addition to the propionibacteria. These lactic acid bacteria are called mesophilic because their optimal growth temperature is around 30°C. It was decided that the cheese cooking temperature, that is, the highest temperature to which the cheese mass and whey is heated in the vat, was to be the same as the relatively low temperature used for Gouda. This low temperature does not inhibit the mesophilic lactic culture and its metabolism of lactose and citric acid in the milk. In other words, the necessary good growth of the starter bacteria should be guaranteed by using these conditions."

I think if I cut smaller and wash more to dilute the whey, I will be able to more closely replicate the Jarlsberg taste and texture I am familiar with. Here's another extract from that document that speaks to rind cracks and the rubbery texture of Jarlsberg:

"Whey dilution significantly affected all of the sensory properties of the cheese, and the consistency was best when moderate dilution was used. Too little dilution gave a hard and crumbly cheese; too high a dilution gave a rubbery cheese. The effect of whey dilution on the score for taste and aroma in the cheese followed similar trends on the whole, and the tendency to form cracks was clearly reduced by increasing dilution levels."

-Boofer-

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:53:03 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.