Author Topic: Another Newbie on the Forum!  (Read 2880 times)

JaimeMacNCheese

Another Newbie on the Forum!
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »
Hi There!  Looks like there are a few of us "Young Cheeses" coming out of the woodwork today (Gina - looks like we're both Lisa Simpson fans ;)).  I started making mozz and fresh cheeses early last year and started on pressed and mold-ripened cheeses earlier this month after my family all chipped in to hook me up with  the motherlode of cheese making supplies for my birthday.   Now, with a dedicated aging fridge, and just about every imaginable mold, utensil and tool, I have become completely OBSESSED with cheese making.  So far I've made a pepper havarti, sage cheddar and a 4-round batch of camembert.  How do you all cope with having to wait for everything to age? The suspense is killing me!

I have to say that this forum has been an indispensable resource for me in these early endeavors, and I am happy to finally be a registered, non-lurking member! It's so great to have a place to talk about everything cheese - I find that most "normal" people's eyes glaze over when I really start to geek out about it.  Here, I am among my people, and I love it! 

I also enjoy making and canning jam (jammin' as my husband calls it) and long walks on the beach.  :)

linuxboy

Re: Another Newbie on the Forum!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
Welcome! Looking forward to your input. The coping strategy I use is to make more cheese, and also nibbling on the fresh curds :)

Lots of good past discussions here you can read or search for!

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum. My strategy is to make lots of enormous cheeses and then dividing them into smaller wedges and then eventually I forget about one of them until I stumble onto it in the back of the cave and actually get to try an aged cheese for a change. :)  Good Luck.

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
I find that most "normal" people's eyes glaze over when I really start to geek out about it.  Here, I am among my people, and I love it!
Welcome!  I get that a lot too.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:39:55 PM »
Jaime, welcome, Cheese Heads Unit!

Gina

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:56:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum. There is so much information here that's it's quite a challenge to soak it all up. I find I enjoy reading old, long threads even about cheeses I'm not even thinking of making - there are so many gems of wisdom scattered about.

""(Gina - looks like we're both Lisa Simpson fans ). ""

Yes. Actually I've been intending to change my avatar, so you now may have sole use of Lisa. She's a cutie. :)

JaimeMacNCheese

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:28:23 AM »
I find I enjoy reading old, long threads even about cheeses I'm not even thinking of making  cutie.

That's what I've been doing as a "lurker" for the past few weeks!  I finally decided it was time to sign up so I could start asking some questions of my own. :) 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone - looking forward to many cheesy discussions!

Gina

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
<<<That's what I've been doing as a "lurker" for the past few weeks!  I finally decided it was time to sign up so I could start asking some questions of my own.   >>>

That's what I did too. By the time I signed up, I felt as if I already knew many of the frequent posters. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 03:48:19 AM »
Welcome Jamie

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
I find that most "normal" people's eyes glaze over when I really start to geek out about it. 

You know, lately I've been seeing that in my wife's eyes. Oh oh....  :(

Good to have you here. Let's see some pictures!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
I tend to get a bit over indulgent in all my hobbies and see that glazed over look everytime I talk to people about them.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
Hmmm. I find myself running my fingers over my sealed cheeses and actually deriving some satisfaction from that practice. When does a hobby turn into a fetish?  ::)

Someone here has a signature that includes "back away from the cheese...".

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Gina

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 01:23:49 AM »
I love petting my cheeses, esp the waxed ones.

I read cheese books before going to sleep.

I have become powerless in the presence of cheese.

Perhaps an intervention is in my future...

Watching white liquid
the temperature was near.
Cheese - one step closer.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:32:08 AM by Gina »

BigCheese

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 01:48:33 AM »
My cheesemaking has indeed become a running joke here. They just don't understand. When my cheeses are drying I frequently pet them and flip them too often. That CBN and the kadova molds just leave too nice of a rind. How can one not touch it?