Author Topic: a newbie from Montana  (Read 1201 times)

tally

a newbie from Montana
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:13 AM »
 Two years ago I was inspired to make cheese after reading Barbara Kingsolvers "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". Moz and fromage blanc were pretty easy so I decided to go on to hard cheese. Several really nasty tasting failures later, I was really stumped. Monterey Jack, cheddar, gouda all were completely inedible. I found this forum and have been grateful for the generosity of spirit and wisdom and good advise I've read here. So.....my mistake earlier was (I'm now ashamed to say) that I used a direct set starter and made a cultured starter with it. No wonder my cheeses were awful.
  After reading about how so many of you come to the rescue of ruined milk, I gathered my courage and tried again. Yesterday I cracked open a gouda that had aged for 3 months. I was afraid to try it in case it was another failure. It was a bit crumbly, but honestly really good flavor! I couldn't believe it! I made eatable cheese! And it was good. I took a wedge to work and they liked it too. Wow, I feel like a new mother.
  Thank you all for your help and generous advice.

mtncheesemaker

Re: a newbie from Montana
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:41:20 AM »
Hi and welcome! The sharing of knowledge here is pretty amazing. I wonder if I wouldn't  have given up if I hadn't found this group. Every mistake I've made has been made by others; that makes me feel like not such a dummy!
Congratulations on your success!
Pam

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
Welcome tally!

I've had plenty of fails and some surprisingly to me great cheeses, I originally started as do many with books and rapidly found that that was not enough as you have to talk to others to find how to do better.

Again welcome!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 03:49:29 AM »
Welcome Tally. A lesson learned is not a failure! Hang in there it will get better.