Author Topic: Mango Ginger Stilton  (Read 4733 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Mango Ginger Stilton
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:55:58 AM »
Here's a Mango Ginger Stilton on the right and a Currant Ginger Stilton on the left. Both of these just came out of the draining hoops and were photographed yesterday.

The Mango was made on 6/12 and the Currant was made on 6/13. They were flipped 4 times daily until yesterday.

Notice that the Currant was just made 4 days before and the Blue obviously is off to a great start. Is that a turbo charged Blue or WHAT? The Mango Ginger, made a day earlier, has good Blue considering it is only 5 days old, but it is nothing like the amount of blue on the Currant Ginger. Why??? I'll tell you after all the photos, but here's a hint. >:D The currants were all natural, organic fruit. The mango on the other hand was just a commercial dried fruit from Kroger's grocery. Hmmmm......

Enjoy

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Mango Ginger Stilton
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:16:08 AM »
It's the sulfur dioxide used as a preservative on the mango and many store bought dried fruits. As far as preservatives go, SO2 is really benign and is naturally occurring anyway.

I make lots of different flavors of Stiltons and any time I use a "natural" fruit with no preservatives the blue will bloom like crazy. The Mango blue will catch up with the Currant in a few days so the sulfur dioxide slows things down a bit, but doesn't stop microbial growth. The pH of the cheeses are pretty much the same after their light overnight pressings. So the sulfur dioxide seems to have little effect on the lactic bacteria.

Fruits generally fail in cheeses that are brined and not directly salted (like Stiltons). Usually because of yeast that ferment the fruit and ruin the cheese. Sulfated dried fruit MIGHT work in brined cheeses if the SO2 can keep the yeasts under control. I made a Mango Jack this evening, so I'll let you know in 60 days.

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:21:52 AM »
Cannot wait to hear how it turns out. Is there a white mold you can innoculate with that will not turn the cheese to mush? Like if I did a stilton with geo it would all go mushy right?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:26:43 AM »
I don't do any geo cheeses so I can't help on that one.

vogironface

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 05:15:16 AM »
Congratulations Sailor.  Once again you have set the bar pretty high with your cheeses.  I was just thinking today that I would like to make a mango Stilton and then I see this.  It must be a sign.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:47:53 PM »
You totally have your Stiltons nailed! I must try one.
Thanks for the inspiration.

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »
Sailor, can I ask what size molds you are using?

Mango stilton sounds awesome.

Brie

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »
Looks great, Sailor, as usual. My Ginger Stilton with Lime will be ready to cut at the end of July--I can't wait!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:41 PM »
I use 8" molds. The Stiltons actually stay in the mold for 4 days until they drain enough to firm up.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »
Brie - did you use a candied lime peel?

Brie

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »
Ah, we get so old so soon! No, Sailor, YOU used the candied peel--I used the crystalized ginger and lime seasoning with vanilla. Have you cut yours' yet?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 03:32:16 AM »
Yep. Good thing I take good notes. I used candied LEMON. I remember now, you used a lime seasoning. Ahaaa a Magarita Stilton. >:D

Made that one on 4/28. I like them to go at least 90 days so I'll wait at least another 45 days before cracking it. Have several more that will be ready before that one.

Minamyna

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »
I really wanna eat some of your cheese. I bet its all amazing. Does the blue cheese flavor ever overwhelm your other flavors?