Author Topic: 10 gal. of Raw Milk in my fridge........  (Read 2808 times)

Minamyna

10 gal. of Raw Milk in my fridge........
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:26:32 AM »
...because I bought a Jersey cow. I have had to drive to where I bought her from to milk her because we have had so much flooding, I couldn't get her home, but I think we will make it home tomorrow. So right now I have 10 gallons of milk, she give 3 gallon of great sweet cream laden milk a day.

I just have to come up with some quick or simple cheeses to make. I have been looking at a lot of mozzerella cheese recipes, and making a lot of cottage cheese. As soon as some more yogurt culture arrives I will be doing that too.... It's all very exciting, EXCEPT my hot water heater went out and the part it needs won't be in until Monday. All weekend.... no hot water. I have to go next door to my uncles and shower. What a pain.

BigCheese

Re: 10 gal. of Raw Milk in my fridge........
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »
Fromage Blanc and paneer have saved me in similar situations. They are both very versatile and quick and easy to make.

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
Ok! I ll look at those I have mozz and ricotta going atm.

kimlasavio

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Another plus about the fromage blanc is that it freezes well - unless your freezer goes out as well!  Good luck!   ;)

MattK

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »
If you didn't want to wait for your cultures, I have successfully used store-bought yogurt with active cultures. The Oikos brand of Greek yogurt has worked for me (NAYYY).

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
I use Greek Gods Greek yogurt for my culture and have never been happier with the flavor and texture of my yogurt.

I have to say I am incredibly jealous over all the milk you have.  Another 5-6 weeks, at least, 8-9 at worst, and I will be back in business, though.