Author Topic: Camembert Still Draining After 5 Hours In Molds - Normal?  (Read 1543 times)

rose_gardens

Camembert Still Draining After 5 Hours In Molds - Normal?
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:00:35 AM »
I just unmolded my first try at Camembert. I followed the instructions and after 5 hours I put the cheeses on mats with light salt covering in a ripening box. Is it normal that the cheeses are still draining a bit? There is still a bit of whey draining out. I hope they are not too wet to make good Camembert. If anyone can share their experiences with Camembert that would be appreciated.

mtncheesemaker

Re: Camembert Still Draining After 5 Hours In Molds - Normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »
Hi there;
My recipe calls for draining the cheeses in their molds for 12-14 hours, and flipping them after 3-4 hours when they have firmed up enough to be handled. I have found that after draining, unmolding and salting that they will still lose some whey.
For me the tricky part of this cheese is moisture level/humidity. It's very important that the cheeses do not sit in whey. They should be elevated somewhat so the whey can drain away. Keep the whey mopped up during this time, and wipe up beads of moisture from the box when it appears.
Keep us posted how it goes.
Pam

rose_gardens

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

Pam - thank you for your response. I just checked and there is only a small amout of whey in the ripening box under the mat. I will mop it up. I am encouraged. Thanks again. - Bob

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
Bob, there are lots of posts in the White Mold Boards that would be a good read, like MrsKK, I also drain 13-18 hours, and as MrsKK says, "mold does not like it's feet in water".

Also, there are some white mold Defects info here.

I've found Camembert is a very finnicky cheese, good luck!

Oberhasli

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:29:33 PM »
I always find some whey underneath the unmoulded cheeses for a day or so.  I wipe it up and also any condensation around the ripening box.  I finally found the best racks for putting my cheeses on in the ripening box.  I got them at Walmart and they are black with sturdy legs and they come three to a pack and will stack on top of each other, but I have never needed to do that.  I used to get cheap cooling racks for cookies from the dollar store, but they sag in the middle when you get a few cheese sitting on it.  I really like these Wally ones!  I bought three sets.  They are pretty reasonable - I think $8.00 for a three pack.

Bonnie