Author Topic: Muenster Making Questions  (Read 1353 times)

rose_gardens

Muenster Making Questions
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »

This is my first time making Meunster. I put the cheese in a ripening bag yesterday. Today there is a small amount of whey at the bottom, perhaps half a teaspoon. Do you suggest I remove it? Also do you know how critical 60 degree temperature is for first two weeks? I can easily store it at 50% or 70% but 60% is difficult as I do not think even my mini-frig will go to 60% unless I leave the door cracked open. Do you suggest re-misting surface of cheese with b. linens at any point and how long is the b. linens in my atomizer good for. Sorry there are a lot of questions here but anything you can share is appreciated - Bob

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Muenster Making Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
What's a "ripening bag"? I am headed towards making a Munster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muenster_(cheese), and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_(cheese)) but am not familiar with this technique you're using. I assumed that the cheese would come out of the mould and be kept on a rack in a mini-cave (Rubbermaid covered container) where the humidity could be more tightly controlled. Not true?

I would guess the B Linens in your atomizer is kept in the fridge when not being used, right? That would help to extend its viability.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
I was wondering this same thing, I posted in another thread about forgetting to wash my muenster... stupid stupid. I threw my b. linens in the atomizer out after a week in the fridge. Would it still have been good?

I was really bummed to because I just needed a tiny bit of liquid and I mixed up a whole half cup...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Perhaps a more definitive answer could come from Francois or linuxboy?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.