Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese Making Advice  (Read 8049 times)

linuxboy

Re: Mozzarella Cheese Making Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
Larger floc multiplier and/or larger curds increase the final moisture. It makes the curd stronger, which also helps it to retain fat. So in the end, it gives this illusion of extra creaminess because it's not hard to the palate.

Floc of 8 mins is just a touch fast. Are you measuring in ml or teaspoons?

Minamyna

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »
Teaspoons. I have been meaning to ask "doubling recipes." I know I have some logic for calculating the amount of rennet to use per gallon ( I think its a 1/2 for harder cheeses and a 1/4 for "softer" cheeses), I am just not sure what it is right now. If I were to retreive my cheese journal, I could tell you what logic I used last time.....

Minamyna

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
Also I am using the thermophilic type b culture, I love the flavor an smell, but could that be affecting my cheese?

MrsKK

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »
Sorry, I can't give you any feedback regarding floc multipliers as I don't use that method. 

Please let us know how your further efforts turn out.

Minamyna

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »
WAAAY CLOSER!!!!

OMG this last batch much creamier. I tried the salty whey method and it seemed like i was losing less "good stuff" to the water like i was before. I made a 3 gal batch, let it ripen an HOUR. I was much gentler with it. I cut it into huge curds, brought it up to temperature SLOWLY, and let it sit in a plastic bag on the counter over night.

This morning when I tried the curd, it was sour tasting like yogurt before I put it in the salty way. I just poured some salt in the way until it tasted mildly salty to me.

I didn't use lipase this time and it is a little squeaky when you chew it. I am not sure my mozz handling technique is up to snuff, I stretched it once or twice and then started forming it into little balls. It still flocculated at around 8 mins.. Dunno if that is playing hand in it. I used only about 1/3 of the curd into forming it, I think I will try again later, give it a little more time to ripen.

Thanks for all the help guys, I definitely couldn't have done it without you! :-*
Pix-- I couldn't figure out how to attach them, I tried like 3 different ways! NSL. I also tried reading the help section and search for a thread on how to post pictures, neither were fruitful, maybe someone can send me a message on how to have them just appear that'd be great.I am computer science major and can't seem to figure it out, so I am feeling extra dumb!

I think I finally figured it out, is there anyway to link it from picasa?

Also we can prolly move this thread in the mozz thingy since thats where thread ended up going ;)
Curds and Great balls of Mozz!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:16:40 AM by Minamyna »