Author Topic: Anyone have a "tuned" Taleggio recipe?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Anyone have a "tuned" Taleggio recipe?
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:55:24 AM »
I want to do my first washed rind cheese. I've narrowed my options down to a Taleggio. I really like the looks of this Taleggio example. Instead of 5lbs, I would be making a 4lb wheel.

My question is: can I make a decent Taleggio cheese with b. linens combined with either Aroma B Meso, MM100, or LM57? Do I need a yeast (geo?) or something else added to the brine wash? I don't happen to have any geo on hand at the moment.

Here's my target:

"The softest, creamiest member of the famous Italian Stracchino cheeses, Taleggio was first made in the valley of the same name, located in the historic province of Bergamo. Taleggio made its debut in the international cheese markets after World War I, around the same time as its cousin Bel Paese. Its rough, rosy crust (inedible), pale yellow interior, and rich and buttery, fruity, slightly salty flavor are what give Taleggio its individuality. Taleggio's soft, incredibly flavorful interior is creamy in texture and has a pungent aroma. Perfectly paired with bold red wines like Sangiovese, melted into polenta, or just served with crusty bread. The cheese imparts the essence of the Italian countryside in such a demonstrative manner that you could swear you were sitting among the cows on a grassy hillside in Lombardy.
Made from pasteurized cow's milk.
Photo depicts whole 5 lb. form of cheese."

From this url: http://www.igourmet.com/reviews/pwr/product-reviews/Cheese/Italy/p/281S-Taleggio.html

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Anyone have a "tuned" Taleggio recipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:41 AM »
I've used Peter Dixons recipe and it works well for me ...

http://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/recipes_Tallegio.shtml