Author Topic: Stilton - Slip Skin!?  (Read 4582 times)

BigCheese

Stilton - Slip Skin!?
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
I have been feeling pretty good about my Stilton. They have been kept elevated in a covered cambro with 1.5" of water and the lid on. This was maintaining 75-80% RH. I thought that was low. Today, however, during their daily flipping, I discovered som slip skin beginning. The temps have been in the mid 70s here during day and mid to low 50s at night. Is my problem that the RH and temp is too high? Maybe I will move to the aging cave and pierce later....

My problem is that my cave is off site, about 15min drive away from here.

The pictures below are 1) the nicer of the two wheels, 2) a slightly ripped piece of skin on the left edge, and 3) me poking the edge to show the give.

linuxboy

Re: Stilton Slip Skin!?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
It's expected with stilton, just not that fast. IMHO, temp too high, and more so, the fluctuations are not helpful. Can you put some ice packs around it and insulate the container?

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »
Yes I can do that, do you think I can put the lids back on then? Also, how long should I keep it out before going to the cave?

BigCheese

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »
I pierced my Stiltons yesterday at exactly 2 weeks from the initial make. I am worried that the P Roquefort may not be active anymore or something, so I thought to pierce straight away. I am also concerned about white mold. The first picture below shows a spot where my earlier slip skin problem had stripped the corner of the cheese. What concerns me is that this spot never grew over with mold again.

The second picture shows my holes and the white mold. Does this white mold mean some wild p candidum is in my cheese now?

Thanks in advance

Tropit

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
I have a couple of wheels that look just like yours.  My guess is that there is definietly some P. candidum in my mix and there's also too much moisture.  I tasted one...it was horrible.  I'm letting ther other age awhile to see what develops.

BigCheese

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Thanks for the bad news, Tropit  :-\ But seriously, thanks.

What about the mold being inactive? Any thoughts anyone?

I do not own any P candidum, so if that is on the cheese it is probably wild and imparting a bad flavor, right?

Gina

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
Quote from: Nitai
Does this white mold mean some wild p candidum is in my cheese now?

Not necessarily. There are many fungi that love to grow in a warm, moist environment.

Below is a petri plate that was exposed to air and various wild fungal spores that have begun to grow.

If you built it, they will come.

BigCheese

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
Thanks Gina. Is that good or bad news for me?

Gina

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »
No way to know. Basically making cheese is directed decompostion using known/controlled organisms (fungi, bacteria, yeasts). When you introduce an unknown microbe into the process, anything goes. In the past accidental infection has lead to some interesting cheese flavors, but the odds of that happening very often is pretty low.

Tropit

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the bad news, Tropit  :-\ But seriously, thanks.

Nitai, I have some good news. That aweful tasting blue actually turned out pretty good later on.  I wrapped it back up with a folded paper towel tucked in there to help absorb the extra moisture.  A week later, it was beautiful!  I did the same thing with the 2nd wheel and it looks pretty good too.  IT tastes great now...go figger.

BigCheese

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
Yea I actually tasted both of mine at about 3 weeks and one was very good and the other was just less developed, but nothing bad. I am feeling pretty hopeful. glad to hear yours worked out.

Tropit

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Same to you.  I opened up the 2nd wheel last night for some of my dau's foody friends.  They loved it and I gloated a little...LOL. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
Stiltons can look absolutely disgusting and turn out wonderful.