Author Topic: Danisco's Choozit Brand Kazu Mesophilic Starter Culture  (Read 3807 times)

janesmilk

Danisco's Choozit Brand Kazu Mesophilic Starter Culture
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
Hello,

I have a package of KAZU culture, but I dont really know what it best used for. I see that it contains L. Helveticus which causes proteolysis during aging, but I dont really know what that means... :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry I never introduced myself... Im using mostly sheeps milk for my cheeses and some cows milk, made a nice looking manchego yesterday and Im working on a pyranese today. I just have a random assortment of cultures in my freezer that Im not really sure what they are for :)

linuxboy

Re: Danisco's Choozit Brand Kazu Mesophilic Starter Culture
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »
The L helveticus in kazu introduces different proteases and peptidases when it is maturing which helps to add a sweeter, more gruyere-like character to the cheese. It also is helpful as a protectorant because it will consume additional sugars such as galactose, in addition to lactose. What does this mean practically? It means your typical mesophilic mix with l helveticus will have more nuanced notes in aged cheeses, like an older cheddar.

Adding a thermo culture to a standard meso is a fairly common practice to craft flavors and produce distinctive cheese. Around here in WA, beecher's does it in their flagship aged cheddar.

janesmilk

Re: Danisco's Choozit Brand Kazu Mesophilic Starter Culture
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:48:54 AM »
Thanks! I am considering using it to remake one of my tomme cheese, keeping everything in the make process the same but changing the culture, just to see the difference.

Thanks again!