Author Topic: Mozzarella, yahoo!  (Read 3586 times)

BigCheese

Mozzarella, yahoo!
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
Now that I have understood how cheese works from this forum I decided to revisit mozz, which I had mixed success with last year using the citric acid approach.

I did 5 gallons and kind of winged the whole thing, referencing various recipes, including Linuxboy's from the WCG site.

For culture I used some fairly old buttermilk (from actual butter, the cream had been cultured with Aroma B) and some meso 2 and thermo B, as I am trying to use them up. I refrigerated the curds overnight and when I got to them today (about 16-17 hours) they were around PH5.2 ( I was too lazy to calibrate).

Anyway, here they are (some of them):

linuxboy

Re: Mozzarella, yahoo!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Looks great! I know mozz should be white, but I love that lovely yellow tinge from good cow's milk :)

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
one thing that could have been better is, out of laziness, I just used my hard cheese brine. I am assuming this is not proper because in 20 minutes the cheeses became quite salty. maybe they were just too small for that amount of time?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »
Are they salty evenly throughout? When you toss in a brine like that it takes several hours for the salt to become distributed. I often will add salt to the hot whey and stretch the mozz in the salty whey, and then put into a pickle instead of brine. Helps me hit that 2% salt target faster for more immediate consumption.

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
Well I put them all in water and now they are nice. I used to salt the melting water or whey but the recipes I saw recently did not say to, and I was not sure if there was an advantage to the brine. Now I know, thanks.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:17 PM »
Never made a difference for me. I think it winds up being about a 6-10% concentration in the hot wash, and I pull and form quickly so what happens is that the individual curd pieces soak up the salt, and then come together and are just perfect for fresh eating.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
Wow! Those look great. I am working up the nerve to give Mozzarella another go. I just need to jump in and do it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »
Very impressive. I want to try again. Nice pics.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BigCheese

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »
after a day I am very pleased with these. The previous mozz I made would get mushy on the outside if left in water, but this stuff is the real deal. I used it and the ricotta I made from the whey to make stuffed shells today :)

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »
Lovely looking cheese - great job!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:32:06 AM »
Very pretty mozzarella. Well done!

Minamyna

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
how did you get the braid into it?

BigCheese

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
just by stretching like a rope and then quickly looping it, pinching the loose ends together on the underside. I found it easier than getting a ball to seal on the bottom.

MarkShelton

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 06:50:54 AM »
When I have made mozz, I always had a problem sealing the bottoms too! I always wondered if it was just me!

judec

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 06:56:38 AM »
Wow really impressive pictures,  Mine always looks like squashed plops.