Author Topic: Mozzarella, yahoo!  (Read 3581 times)

MrsKK

Re: Mozzarella, yahoo!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
I'll have to try the braided look.  My solution to the funny bottoms on balls of mozz is to put it back into the hot whey for a minute to soften it, then put it on a flat surface to smooth out the crimped bottom.  Then into the cold water to set up.

They end up like really thick pancakes or flattened biscuits, though, instead of balls.  while it doesn't affect the flavor, I'd prefer your pretty braids.

BigCheese

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
I definitely had some pancakes and funky balls going too. It has been paining me to cut the knots up for use. But a 4-6oz hunk of mozzarella, however pretty, has limited serving applications.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
When your doing mozzarella bals when you dne and want to seal the bottoms I just hold them in the hot whey for a few more second to resoften and give them a few squeezes and they seal up nice.

tnsven

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
Those little knotted balls are an inspiration! I'm going to have to make more and practice!

Minamyna

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
I found these videos inspirational before I started Mozz.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GibsonCom?feature=pyv&ad=4298619036&kw=making%20mozzarella#p/u/0/LLm7VGhP50Y
Chef Whitney Demos Fresh Mozzarella

Vito's mozzarella cheese-making facility.

These people crack me up! They aren't making cheese they are forming it, but they do have some good forming techniques.